1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Documents Backup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by RoyP, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RoyP

RoyP Thread Starter

Can anyone suggest an easy to use FREE back up that I can use to save my Documents on an external Hard Drive, I would prefer one that automatically backs up every 30mins if possible.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    FreeFileSync
    Not sure about Auto .... I mirror drives manually when needed.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If they are all under the Document folder, then all you need to is copy that folder to the external drive.

But to get this "Auto" thing you will need to get some special program to that and I have not heard of such.

4. MMKnight

MMKnight

First Name:
    Mike
    Cloudberry Backup Free is an amazingly powerful Free backup application. Not only will Cloudberry backup to your PC/Device it can backup to External Drives, OneDrive,Dropbox, GoogleDrive, Amazon Drive, FTP, Memory stick/FlashDrive, SD Cards and complex servers. You can set the backup to backup to multiple devices and locations at the same time and add as many folders or files as you like, schedule a daily, weekly, Monthly/Yearly backup or whenever you want. It's very feature rich and very powerful.

https://www.cloudberrylab.com/resources/blog/introducing-backup-freeware-version/

You can also create drive images, which are snapshots of your hard drive that you can use to restore your computer to if you have a problem and this is a good alternative to Acronis True Image, which is about the best you can get, with awards to prove it!

5. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    If you know CMD, PowerShell, KiXtart or other Scripting language, I suggest a Script using Robust File Copy (aka; RoboCopy ) using the Mirror Switch and the Windows Task Manager.

You can then create a task that runs in 30 minute intervals that runs a script using RoboCopy in the Mirror Data Mode. This way only updated or new files will be backed-up.

6. MMKnight

MMKnight

First Name:
    Mike
  7. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I have been using the Command Line RoboCopy for so long, I never new there was a GUI version - Dank je.

MMKnight likes this.
  8. MMKnight

MMKnight

First Name:
    Mike
    @dlipman Yes, same here as for using it for so long. The GUI version was part of the old Windows and Windows Server Resource Kits. You could download these as standalone or you got them included on a disk with a TechNet subscription. It's one of those unknown utilities that still works well like the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

I wish these were part of Windows 10, but they still work and are life savers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice