1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Documents & Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ayush, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ayush

ayush Thread Starter

My OS is Win XP Pro installed on D drive. Win 98 on C drive. Can I move documents and Settings folder from D to C drive. Kindly advise.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I would not suggest doing that. What are you trying to accomplish?

3. welshY

welshY

If you really need to this is one way

To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
    Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
    Click the Target tab.
    In the Target box, do one of the following:
    Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.
    If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.
    -or-
    Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.
    In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.
    Restore the My Documents Folder to Its Default Location
    To restore the My Documents folder to its default location, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
    Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
    Click Restore Default, and then click OK.
    In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.
    Remove the My Documents Folder from the Start menu

If you do not want to display My Documents on the Start menu, follow these steps:

Right-click Start, and then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu, and then click Properties.
    Click Customize.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    In the Start menu items list, under My Documents, click Don't display this item, and then click OK twice.

The next time you click Start, the My Documents folder is no longer displayed on the Start menu.
    NOTE: Removing the My Documents folder from the Start menu does not remove the files stored in the target location of the My Documents folder.

Display the My Documents Folder on the Start menu

To display My Documents on the Start menu, follow these steps:

Right-click Start, and then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu, and then click Properties.
    Click Customize.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    In the Start menu items list, under My Documents, click Display as a link or Display as a menu, and then click OK twice.

The next time you click Start, the My Documents folder is displayed on the Start menu.

4. welshY

welshY

Forgot to add this , seeing as you have 2 different operating systems ,98 and xp ,I'm not sure it will be a good idea to move it ?

5. a4lloxo

a4lloxo

i wouldnt.bear in mind that the file systems may be incompatable,win98 uses fat32,but it is likely that your win xp installation is ntfs.

6. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Exactly the point of my post.

I think we need the post starter to respond as to what the exact intent of the move is.

7. ayush

ayush Thread Starter

Hi All

Thanks everyone who is responded. I have changed My Documents to another drive. My question is can I change Documents and Settings Folder to a new location.

or Is it safe to increase / decrease drive space using Partision Magic.

8. Tushman

Tushman Banned

For that kind of thing, I wouldn't trust anything else but Partition Magic.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I'd make sure you have good backups, then use PM to change the size.

If your Documents & Settings folder is getting large, you may want to do a clean-up of temp files and other junk, you might be amazed at how you can shrink it. One thing to do is not store large files on the desktop, empty the temp and Internet temp files from each user account, etc.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sure. I do it most times. This way I keep my data separated from the operating system.

Just move the data folder for a user to wherever you want.

There is a program called TWEAKUI from Microsoft that will let you change this as well as many other settings.

The one for XP is at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

For each user (and hopefully there aren't that many), under My Computer / Special Folders, just change the location for your My Documents folder to the new location.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Bob, I think he clearly stated he wants to move Documents & Settings, not just My Documents, a different proposition.

Also, you don't need TweakUI to move My Documents, simply right click on My Documents and select Properties. One of the tabs is Target, which will allow you to put it anywhere, and will even move the contents for you.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

ayush,

Is this for all users or just a current one?

14. lister

lister

On top of what was said, I imagine it would also require a major overhaul of the registry (nevermind the different Filesystems!), as a lot of applications store settings etc in the application data folder.

I would stongly advise against it ayush.

Why's everyone talking about the My Documents folder?

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I would assume people are talking about moving the My Documents folder because it is fairly easy to do and may help with the drive space problem. A lot depends on how many files are located there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/360075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice