1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dodgy motherboard, psu or memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sputnik, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sputnik

sputnik Thread Starter

Hi,

My problem is I have a Gigabyte 8GE-667 motherboard, 2 different generic 256mg memory chips and a cheap case i got about a year ago with a PT-A350w power supply.

Often when my computer starts up it freezes. This happens at the part when the computer has just counted the memory and locates the hard drive and the cd-rom. This is a mongrel because it also resets my bios and all the settings i have on it.

Also, the computer also randomly shut itself down / crashes, when the cd drive starts up. Could memory be at fault for this or would this (as I think) make it more likely to be the power supply.

I ran prime95 and it picked up errors after 10 m inutes, so obviously something is majorly wrong.

I'm going to have to replace the one of the three items or all and i was just wondering if any of you guys know, where the problem lies?

thanks in advance

2. RSM123

RSM123

Just one observation here - recently my BIOS Settings were defaulting on boot. I found it was merely the CMOS Battery that needed replacing. You could invest in one of those first.

You could also, if you have not already, try booting with each stick of ram in place on its own.

EDIT - Welcome to TSG.

:)

3. sputnik

sputnik Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm just running memtest atm, but I'll give what you said a go.

How much do the batteries cost?

4. RSM123

RSM123

You're in the UK (Judging by Mate :) ) ??

About £1.99 from Tandy or Maplin.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice