1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Doenloaded icewm - how do I run it?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by PhillyLinux, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhillyLinux

PhillyLinux Thread Starter

Fluxbox didn;t seem to have any redhat binaries other the fefdor. I downloaded and installed icewm and a theme pack. When I tried to run it frrom terminal I got a message telling me that a manager was already running. When I tried to start if from x it didn't recognize the command.

How do I get this puppy running? Redhat 9 us still running fairly slow on my computer. Thanks! :confused:

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

find out what wm you are running, then issue "killall "wm" && icewm"

3. PhillyLinux

PhillyLinux Thread Starter

Thanks. Their site was rather confusing. I assume I just enter the strings you mentioned into terminal as a SU.

By the By, desperate for speed, I downloaded and tried RH7.3. It was much quicker but the technology is to old. It didn't support a wheel mouse. It also didn't support my digital camera or Palm Pilot (m505).

I will give this a try. I am starting to get discouraged and may look into Mandrake. I can't help but think I may have the same problem there. Plus, if I wanted to pay for an OS, I'd stick with windows.....

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

You have to understand, that RH9 will take some optimization for an older processor. You can use another free distro though. Gentoo and Debian are great choices for an older computer. Redhat, mandrake, lindows (*shivver*), not so much. This is because they use the latest and greatest Desktop environments (gnome and KDE) both of which have been growing steadily more cpu/memory hungry since your computer was built. Try either debian, gentoo or slackware. This way, you can set up your system how you want it, and optomize it so that it runs fast. The fastest will be gentoo, however, it will take much more time to setup, as gentoo you compile EVERYTHING. Debian will do well on your computer, and is simple to administer because of its excellent packaging system. Slackware would be good, however it takes a fair amount more linux understanding than redhat.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Your running gnome, so try issuing "killall gnome-wm && icewm"

6. comprookie20

comprookie20

If you installed it right you should be able to add it to your login manager,should have GLM just log out then log back in as root,or see if it is on the desktop switcher,did you install it with a rpm?david

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

(BTW, thats GDM)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice