1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does a CPU have to be loged on to share files?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kaaos, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

i have a pc that use to be networked with a d link router before. i gave the CPU to my wife who uses it at a day care. the other say the monitor went blank, i suspect its a video card and a new one is on order. can i just re-hook the router via cable and and get files of the CPU? I won't be able to log that pc on since i cant see anything.

using XP PRO for both PCs

any other work arounds to get some files would be great with out having to remove the HD

2. krazeecrw

krazeecrw

This should work fine as long once you have the system powered on. I would just check the NIC card in the machine to make sure all the lights have come on properly.

3. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

so even though the CPU with out a video signal is on the log on welcome screen, it will share files?

thanks

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

As long as the share was in place before the issue you should be fine. If not then you have to remote desktop in and then setup the share.

5. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

remote destop? how would i accept the connection from the bc with no video?

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Remote desktop does not ask for accepting a remote connection... that is remote assistance.

7. kaaos

kaaos Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice