1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does a SATA to IDE converter diminish the hard drives performance?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slorlkuk, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

I bought a SATA to IDE converter since my motherboard does not support SATA connections. It says that "The SATA-to-Ultra ATA/133 Converter Board supports the Serial ATA Generation 1 transfer rate of 1.5 Gb/s (150 MB/s) on the serial ATA side and is compatible with Ultra ATA-133 on the parallel ATA side."

My SATA drives basic specs:
    160 GB
    7200 RPM
    8 MB CACHE

My original drives basic specs:
    40 GB
    7200 RPM
    2 MB CACHE

It seems that my original Hard drive was faster than the hard drive that I have now. I don't know what to account that slow down towards; either the SATA to IDE controller or the hard disks size. I was wondering if someone knew the answer to this.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Probably a combination of both.
    ATA 133 and SATA 150 are very close to the same speed, however you have to go through the PCI bus with it.

The other factor would be seek times, on a 160GB HD the seek time will be longer then that of a 40GB.

3. saikee

saikee

If your mobo hasn't got Sata support that means it can swallow a maximum of 133Mb/s speed of data which is the maximum an ATA (or PATA) disk controller can do..

The adoptor you got slows down the data speed feeding into the PC. The Sata can suppy the data quicker but its peak rate cannot be used. It still works because there is a buffer zone provided by the adaptor.

If you want maximum speed of your Sata buy a Sata disk controller!

Please be mindful that Sata II is out now running twice the speed of Sata I.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would rma the converter and buy a sata controller card. This will give you 2 or 4 sata connections rather than the 1 you have now.

BTW there really is no difference between sata1 and sata2. I have benchmarked a sata1 drive against a new sata2 drive [on an nforce4 ultra that supports sata2 and ncq] there was no difference in speed at all. The only difference was in the burst rate out of the cache; other than that no difference in speed at all.

Here is the benchmark

Attached Files:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

An SATA to IDE adapter will decrease your performance, quite significantly if my sample of one is to be believed. I was using one for a short time, and I was getting peak speeds of around 30mb/sec, and the drive would do 50mb/sec connected to an IDE channel.

I have never seen an IDE to SATA adapter, didn't realize they existed.

6. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

I don't need to hook up extra SATA hard drives to my computer, only the one drive that I have. I did some research and found that the SATA controller cards don't do any better job than the converter that I already have (150 MB transfer rate), so it would be a waste of money on my part.

7. JohnWill

I think you're missing the point. Although they have the same published transfer rate, your converter will probably impact the performance of the drive, where the SATA controller won't.

8. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

Sorry, I didn't see your post above mine. So I guess your recommending that I get a SATA controller and replace my SATA to IDE converter, since the controller will not impact my transfer speed, meaning that it will be faster? If that is the case, then I will have to look into that further.

9. JohnWill

Like I said, you apparently have a converter that converts a SATA drive to IDE, the one I used went the other way. However, I suspect those little modules are similar, and will have similar attributes.

I have a suggestion. Since you already have the converter, hook it up and test the drive throughput, you'll know soon enough if it's running full speed. You should get at least 50mb/sec throughput from any 7200 RPM drive if there's no bottleneck.

10. saikee

saikee

If one purchases a Sata controller and inserts it into a PCI channel he/she should obtain the theoretical maximum 150Mb/s transfer rate of a Sata disk. Although the average speed is more like 60 to 80 Mb/s in practice.

If one used an IDE-to-Sata adaptor one hooks up a IDE channel, with a ceiling limit of 133Mb/s speed, and able to run a Sata disk at the other end. The Sata will feed information at 150Mb/s but the IDE channel will not accept anything faster than the 133 Mb/s. Thus the adaptor is just a buffer zone to enable a Sata usable in a mobo having no Sata support.

A Sata disk controller is the real thing and should come with two channels minimum but an IDE-to-Sata adaptor is just a mean to run one Sata disk at the ATA133 speed maximum.

11. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

Can someone provide me with a benchmarking tool to see how fast my transfer speed is?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is the one I use.
    HDTune

13. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

Here's my stats for my hard drive:
    [​IMG]

It seems that it has a high CPU usage. I have a 1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 processor. Does it use the extra CPU processing to change the SATA data signals into IDE? I am guessing that the PCI SATA controller will process this instead of my CPU.

14. JohnWill

Well, it's cooking along at a decent pace, sure works better than the adapter I have. :D Here's my backupl drive on my system connected to a standard IDE controller. Your CPU usage does appear to be a bit high.

It's interesting that crj's SATA disks didn't do any better than this aging one of mine. :D

Attached Files:

• hd.jpg
      hd.jpg
      File size:
      75.1 KB
      Views:
  15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I like sata because of the small cables; they are easier to route neatly. I do not think they give any boost to performance over ide.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice