1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does an external case exist for an internal dvd burner?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kataraxia, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kataraxia

kataraxia Thread Starter

Hi everyone! I was wondering if it was possible to convert my internal dvd burner to an external device.

I'm going to be getting a laptop soon and am in the process of dismantling one of my pc's and the 'green' side of me would like to reuse as many components as possible and my burner was purchased only last year.

a) Does such a beast exist?
    b) Is this a feasible option (file transfer speeds, etc.) as it will also be used for transferring muti-media files?
    c) Is it possible to hook this up directly to a home network without going through my desktop? I'm in the process of configuring this as well.

The desktop is running on Win XP SP2 and the laptop with VISTA.
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Kat

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, there are cases. I use mine for both burners and hard drives.

I don't understand your network question. You have one set up already? If so, just connect your new machine to the existing router. Or are you using some sort of connection-sharing?

3. mrss

mrss Guest

4. doggyhairball

doggyhairball

You should be able to find a external drive enclosure pretty cheap on U bid E bay or geeks.com . Most of the enclosures use either USB 2.0 or Firewire which are both pretty quick and you can even get a case to run your old HD from. If you want to make things simple take the cases for your new drive enclosures and package them in some sort of make shift case and hook them up to a cheap four port USB 2.0 hub and hook your drives up through that. Let me know if you would like to recycle your memory just send me the specs on it and I will let you know.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice