1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does any1 use Bart PE Recovery?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Duckman69, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

im looking into using bart PE recovery was just wonderin if any1 used it and could comment on experiance with the program... thanks...

2. DCM1519

DCM1519

I have created several of the disks and used one one time to restore a DriveImage XML image to my C: drive. It worked perfectly.

I update the plugins occasionally when I find one that I need.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

BartPE is used for more than just recovery. It was originally started as just a way to run a live Windows CD. Many different applications can run from Bart PE. I have run Ghost from Bart PE but I do hear DriveImage works quite well from it.

4. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

when you say run ghost you mean live cd only with out an actual os on the computer? thats pritty friggen cool i was watching a tutorial for it and it was more focused on its recovery factors & addons... well thanks alot guys i think ill have to look further in to this bart PE for sure...

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can run just about any application from it if you can figure out how to configure it. It is read-only, of course, so the registry needs to be set up before booting and doesn't change.

But I have imported many of my registered programs into BartPE by adding the registration information to the registry.

And those few apps that will not run from a read-only environment for some reason can be loaded to the RAMdisk and run from there just like from a hard drive. It can also be configured to create a temporary pagefile on one of the hard drives, making it run much faster and more efficiently.

It is really cool. :D

6. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

thanks alot i still havent had a chance to get part pe but i surely will later this week thanks again for the help all...

7. sync

sync

Do you happen to know of a guide that shows how set up what you described?

8. DCM1519

DCM1519

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

There may be guides, but just looking at how the available plugins are built will give you a template to work from. More complex apps are more difficult because you need to figure out what files you need and where to put them. It took me hours of trial and error. But there are many plugins out there already.

10. sync

sync

Is there any practical reason to use a PE for programs that aren't related to recovery or troubleshooting?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. I often wonder the same thing. Many people have expended a lot of energy trying to enable sound and email programs for use with a PE. I don't see the point myself since I use it only for recovery. For other uses, there are loads of bootable Live CD's that do the job much better.

There may be times where you want to go online for solutions with a PE, but a lot of programs just seem to be a waste of space and time.

Using a PE or Live CD for net browsing has the advantage that you are immune to malware and viruses since everything is gone once you shut down. But virtual machines, like SandboxIE, do the same job better.

But PE's can be very useful. Just yesterday I used one to import the registry on a non-working machine, edit it, and restore the machine's bootability. You can also restore registries from restore points with one, replace files, scan for viruses and malware, and access all files regardless of permissions. I always password-protect my PE's so they don't get used by the wrong people.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice