1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

does anyone know anything about windows me?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shadiadi, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shadiadi

shadiadi Thread Starter

Hi If anybody knows anything about windows please help me.
    I have Windows ME I went out and bought office XP and installed it on my computer also Norton AntiVirus 2002 and Norton Utilities 2002. I shut down my computer that night and when I woke up the next day it wouldn't boot up. I inserted the norton rescue disk did a scan on the disk too but everytime I tried to reboot it said "non system disk please replace the blah ....." Even though there was no disk in the computer when I rebooted. I tried using the Windows ME rescue disk same thing same response nothing worked. So I went out and bought an original copy of Windows ME the original version in the computer had an authenticity cert but I never got the original disk from Compaq. I tried rebooting using the CD ROM from Windows and it worked. I was so happy until I tried to find any of my work and it had all vanished into thin air.
    I then reinstalled the Office XP and the Norton Utilities.
    This is where something strange happened. It said that the amount of Memory free was only 11 GBS before it shut down on me with all the oher stuff on there there was 15GBS OUT OF AN ORIGINAL 20GBS Does this mean that my work is still on the computer because there are 4GBS that have gone walk about

Now everytime I try to do anything there is not enough memory free although the computer tells me that 77% is free.
    I can't run scandisk or defrag my drive.
    Should I erase everything off my drive C I also have a system drive which is D Maybe I should format my hard drive and start from scratch and reinstall windows.

I am a bit annoyed about my ******* work that I have lost.
    It's ironic I bought a ZIP drive the day before and hadn't installed it yet.

If anyone can give me some advice it will be most appreciated;) :)

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. shadiadi

shadiadi Thread Starter

hi there,
    how r u?

I uninstalled all programs and still had the same problem.
    I ended up formating drive c: and doing a fresh installatiion of Windows ME everything seems fine now.
    However all my drivers are now missing and I lost the disks when I moved house. (My wife forgot to pack them.)
    I have looked all over the compaq site to find that the only driver I can download is for my printer. This is a real hassle as I am having to swap computers and use a zip drive to download files and transfer them to my Compaq.

Take Care

Adrian

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice