Does anyone know if a HUB can be used to connect to pcs so that there able to both us

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slimdog23

Hello everyone,

I recently ordered the Verizon DSL and i have to pcs each with an ethernet card. When I called verizon to order it they gave me information on what i need to make it possible for both computers to use DSL at the same time. I was told by verizon that I would need a Cable Router. I would like to know if i can use a hub to do what the Router can do. If so What would i need and how do I set it up to do so. I have one computer downstairs and one computer upstairs. I dont know much about this kind of thing so any information about this ? will be usefu.:confused:

I use a hub to share my cable internet connection. If you have XP, all you have to do is right click on your network card and tick "share connection" an voila.

If you have windows 98, you need to setup the internet connection sharing. If you search for "internet connection sharing" in windows it will give you walkthrough.

You may need 2 network cards in your machine tho.

slimdog23

Im using WIN ME how do i do the network stuff on win me. Also I need to know what hub i should get to do this internet sharing thing and can it be done if one computer uses MSN internet service and the other uses AOL. I also need to know for sure if i will need to have 2 network cards or not. I need a straight answer of yes or no cause i dont want to buy the hub and then find out i need two network cards for my comp. I would appreciate any replies.

slimdog23

Sorry I didnt ask this earlier but i have two computers, one downstairs and one upstairs. What I want to do was hook both computers up to the Verizon DSL that I will be getting soon. If i get a router how many ports should it have for the two computers i'll be using?

Well how it works is that you have the DSL line come into your home, it goes into network card (A), then you have a network cable coming from network card (B) which runs from your machine to the hub. The machine downstairs then connects to the hub using network card (C).

Now, if you searched help on windows it tells you how to setup internet connection sharing.

Regarding AOL and MSN, why would you want to use AOL with DSL? Dont you have to dial up to use AOL? Why anyone would want to use AOL is also puzzling me. If im wrong correct me but i thought when you have DSL your just 'on' the net. no connecting to ISPs.

slimdog23

The reason I want to use AOL is becuase there is something about AOL that not everyone knows about. It's the only reason i want to use aol. With Verizon DSL and AOL i can get those things alot faster.

As far as AOL goes two users from the same master account can not be logged on to AOL at the same time!

slimdog23

i know that about AOL but one computer will be signing on withMSN and the other will be using AOL. If you have two computers one downstairs and one upstairs how many ports should the router have?

Hosting AOL thru another server is NOWHERE near the same as logging in to AOL directly! And also don't forget you will be splitting your broadband speed!

Danny

I am thoroughly lost. I read through your posts a couple of times but still don't get it.
You are getting Verizon DSL for Internet access. Where does AOL and MSN fall into this. You don't still want to use them as a service provider to connect to the Internet, do you? Or are you referring to some services they may offer (like instant message and the like) that you can access through any ISP?
If you are referring to actually still using the AOL and MSN dial-up services, I just don't get it cause you wouldn't be making use of your DSL during those times.

Taking AOL and MSN out of the picture, you have two choices:
1. put another nic in one of your computers and have the DSL modem connect to that. The 2nd nic would then connect to the hub where your other computer will also be plugged in. This option was mentioned above. You'd need to use Internet Connection Sharing or similar. If the 'main' computer is turned off, the other computer would not be able to get online through DSL.

2. Purchase a broadband router and have the DSL modem connect to the router. Then plug each computer into the router. In this scenario, each computer gets an IP from the router and you have some basic firewall protection (but should still use ZoneAlarm). In addition, one of the computers wouldn't need to remain on. The ppoe settings (if required) are stored in the router so no special software is required on either computer.

Can you explain a little better what you would like to accomplish. For sharing your DSL connection, I provided you with two options.

slimdog23

This is what i want to accomplish is to have both computers hooked up and using different internet services. I know that if two computers share the DSL the speed wont slow down. I just want to connect the two comps with a hub.

OOOO - so DSL has nothing to do with this! Your first post stated:
When I called verizon to order it they gave me information on what i need to make it possible for both computers to use DSL at the same time. I was told by verizon that I would need a Cable Router. I would like to know if i can use a hub to do what the Router can do. If so What would i need and how do I set it up to do so.
Now you are saying that the only thing you want to do is simply network the computers together to share files/printers/etc.
Yes, you can use the hub to network the two computers so they can talk to each other (share files/printers/etc). Just make sure each computer is in the same workgroup. I'd make sure to assign them each a static IP (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 or something similar). Just for ease of use, I'd also install netbeui. If you do use netbeui, you wouldn't technically need TCP/IP bound to your network cards and, therefore, wouldn't have to worry about IP addresses - up to you.
Make sure to setup File and Print Sharing and share whatever drives/folders you would like the other computer to access.

Now, I'm still confused by you talking about DSL and two other dialup services. If you network the two together with the hub, your network cards will be used and you'll have your modems to dial out separately. If DSL does fall into this somehow (which I can't imagine how it could), you'll have to explain that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online