1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does anyone know of a virus that causes XP to reboot endlessly?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by phoenixedge, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phoenixedge

phoenixedge Thread Starter

Last Night I applied a Windows update to my 100% functional computer. After the restart to install was performed the computer ceased to complete the load back into windows and in fact reboots over and over without getting past the windows xp loading screen. I am concerned about this as nothing was wrong prior to this update. However It may be coincidence and be a Hard Drive failure but if this sounds more like a virus, I really would need to know and I can provide most of the info but the system is dead at the moment so i cant do anything with it to provide more detail. I will answer back as thoroughly as possible to anyone willing to help. Thanks in advance.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Will it boot into Safe Mode?

3. phoenixedge

phoenixedge Thread Starter

No safe mode and all the boot menu options fail. It starts to load and then stops, turns blank for a second, then the list reappears and it says press esc to stop loading sptd.sys. Whether i hit esc or not it starts to load endlessly and i never get past that screen.

4. Lanesant

Lanesant

I read an article from Microsoft that said,

"Note Your computer may restart immediately if it is configured to automatically restart when a system failure occurs. To turn off this option so that your computer does not restart, press F8 at startup, use the arrow keys to select the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, and then press ENTER."

Here's the article from microsoft. I dont know if this will help but it has some useful info
    on there. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice