1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does anyone know the annual subscription cost of Nortons virus definitions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by buf, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Has anyone renewed their annual virus subscription for virus definitions lately?? I have Nortons Internet Security with NAV2002 and Symantec's site is almost impossible to pose this question. And even then, only through an email! I think I will get a faster and probably more complete and understandable answer on our board from someone!!
    I bought NIS2003 with the NAV but never installed it because I read that some people were having difficulties with the NAV in that version. As usual, TIA.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I believe the renewal is $25, but you can usually find a better deal on a new package and just do it that way. For instance, Eagle Computer was selling NSW Pro 2003 for $10, hard to go wrong for NAV, Norton Utilities, and GHOST for that price. :D

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks there johnwill. I just knew someone(s) would offer something of what you did. That is how I "stole" NIS2002 and then later NIS2003!! I watch for those deals however, I was as much curious as I was interested in the annual fee. Still wonder why Symantec makes it so difficult for it's software users to find an answer for such a simple question. One has to inquire of Customer Support or maybe Subscriptions Support or whatever!!
    Enjoy reading your threads AND your reply to my question and your suggestion is well worth the followup by me.

4. JohnWill

I don't know why it's so difficult to find out certain information from these guys. I think a lot of it is they're counting on sucking people into updating on the spot when the warning comes up, they don't want them thinking about the costs until it's urgent. :D

5. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thinking out loud now but I wonder if it is possible to manually download and install the virus defs from their site when someone's subscription has expired?? I have done that on occasions but I was and am a current paid subscriber to the automatic subscriptions. In fact, a full scan of my HD is automatically run once each week BUT I go their site to check for any possible later defs update BEFORE my scan begins. Just a thought!!

6. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

If you have your norton disc , you can delete and then re-install certain versions which will give you another full year of definitions , without paying again. Versions are basically the same for definitions so 2000 will protect you as good as 2004.

So if you find "your" norton disc , delete norton , re-install and good for another year.;)

7. mobo

mobo

If that doesn't work then try a reg cleaner to make absolutely certain all symantec files are gone from the pc then reload...

8. slipe

slipe

Most programs are smarter than that. The first time you run them they insert something that can’t be easily found with a simple registry search. Not even a program that monitors the install will pick up their little hidden tag since it isn’t done during the install process. Even programs that track the install changes made after reboot will not pick it up. I seriously doubt that the NAV 2002 definitions expiration could be defeated with anything short of a format of the boot drive.

Each version of NAV has protected more things. There are two basic protection systems. One involves the definitions and targets specific viruses. The other looks for virus-like characteristics and is improved with newer versions.

I haven’t found NAV2003 to be problematic at all.

9. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

I have had norton 2002 installed a few times on more than a few systems . But as i mentioned , no , certain versions do not allow this repeat install .

As far as newer norton versions , i seriously doubt you are more at risk for virus`s with an older version . That would practically force you to buy the newer version on a yearly basis which would be quite expensive. Newer versions to me would mean updates or improvements to included programs such as system-works . That`s my opinion and you know what they are like , ( everybody has one ).
    :D

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

700mb80min is right. The newer versions add more functions but the latest definitions will still keep your older version working like it did.
    The NAV 2004 (I just installed it) also looks for what it calls "questionable" files such as spyware. After running SpyBot and Adaware NAV2004 found 4 more spyware files during a full system scan.
    It installed right "into" my older NSW2002, so everything old stayed as it was and the NAV was updated to 2004. I had to uninstall/reinstall once to get it to get the "auto-protect" to turn on, after that everything was fine.

11. JohnWill

You can download virus definitions manually after both McAfee and Norton's subscription runs out, I use to do it all the time. I have since discovered the $10 NSW Pro 2003 deal, and it's easier to just have all new software. :D

12. buf

buf Thread Starter

My thanks to all who responded to my original thread and then to johnwill's answer to my question about manual downloading of the virus definitions from the Symantec site. I 'thought' it might be doable but I just didn't know.
    I now recall that I had to reformat on two occasions and that, of course, meant I had to reinstall NAV(from my CD) and each time I was "rewarded" with a new year's subscription. This occurred with NAV 2001 and 2002!! Guess I was just lucky each time!! Also, supposedly, if you can find and and remove all references to Nortons in the registry, a full reinstall can be done and a new year's virus subscription will be your prize. Symantec once sent me instructions on how to do this when I was having great difficulty getting some parts of NIS to install when there were updates for it. Additionally, using RNAV(?)to remove the registry entries will, supposedly, allow you to reinstall NAV as though the reinstall were a first time install!!
    I don't go into the registry though unless someone is holding my hand---tightly.

13. mobo

mobo

well I can testify that I as well simply deleted Norton then reinstalled and was given a fresh subscription free of charge.

14. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks Charlie(AKA motherboard) for your confirmation of what you have done about the reinstall. I have seen other posts made by you giving your positive results. Now that I think about it, both times that I had to remove NAV (part of the NIS CD) it may have been 2001 that was involved. I gotta check my documents folder for any info I may have saved about this.
    BYW, is that EMS or Fireman your avatar refers to? Good for you regardless.

15. mobo

mobo

"Fire".... as well as another in your thread here if he wishes to aknowledge himself...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice