1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

does anyone no how 2 fix cars

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by fongii, Jan 29, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. fongii

fongii Thread Starter

u guys seem 2 know everything , my cooling fan wont stop running when i shut my car off , any ideas thx fon :eek: :) (y)

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

What operating system is that car running? ;)

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The cooling fan is thermostatically controlled and is designed to run until the collant has cooled sufficiently.

So either the car is running too hot (but the fan should eventually stop in that case), or the thermostat has failed.

4. fongii

fongii Thread Starter

its 20 degrees here i know im on the wrong board but i thank u 4 your help it the fans been running for 2 hours now and my batterys dead i have a bmw so any work will cost a fortune do u know any quick fixes ex. pull fuse unclip connection anything that wont blow comp system thx again 4 feedback ;)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The way most electric fan type cooling systems are designed / wired is that a temp sensor sends a message to a relay that in turn actually turns on the fan. A cooling fan is a relatively high draw item and will not be wired directly to the temp sensor. Either the temp sensor is grounded or [much more likely] the relay is stuck closed. As a test you can disconnect the temp sensor. If it still runs the fan, the relay is stuck closed. Replace the relay and you should be good to go.

6. fongii

fongii Thread Starter

thanks ill give it a shot
    fon

7. Perfesser

Perfesser

Any car parts place should have a service book, Clymer's or Chilton, that has wiring diagrams and even gives the wire colors and part location. This should be simple to fix. I had a Cadillac that had the heater fan stuck on due to a bad solid state controller - mounted inside the heater air plenum!

8. winbob

winbob

Perfesser,

Like your sig line, but it's redundant! ;)

9. fongii

fongii Thread Starter

for now i just pulled the fuse out so my battery wont go dead
    thanks

10. vealj

vealj

That's fine for tonight.
    Don't mean to sound as if you don't realize this but I'd put it with my keys so I wouldn't forget it in the morning. Talk about potentially expensive repairs.OMG

Oh! And please feel free to post any question about autos here. Some of us don't know a damn thing about computers and would love an opportunity to help.

11. Bush Lady

Bush Lady

My brother said, volkwagon's have a switch for that on the rad. It double's as a plug. Your's will be stuck in the on possission. If the BMW is the same that is were to look. If not then you have an electrical problem.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!