1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does anyone own an IBM ThinkPad T40 model?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rev1976, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rev1976

rev1976 Thread Starter

I have an IBM Thinkpad T40 model and i need to reformat my hard drive. My CPU is at 100% and i don't know how to fix this. I know i have some spyware in my hard drive but when i attempt to run my spyware removal program it won't delete all the files. So the only thing i can think of doing is reformatting but IBM doesn't provide you with an OS CD. How would i reformat my hard drive without the CD? If anyone has any suggestions besides reformatting please let me know...if i don't have to reformat it would save me a lot of time. Thanks in advance.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Dont know about the t40, but I have a g40, and used a R50 for a while. The hard drive has a hidden partition that holds the factory installation software of the programs your computer came out of the factory with. The T40 should be the same. To reinstall the os and reformat the hard drive, you either press the blue Access IBM button at start up or if that doesnt work press F11 at start up to initiate the sequence. This will restore your computer to factory fresh. You will have to download all of your updates over again both windows and drivers updates. But you will have a fresh subscription to the Anti Virus software when you are done. Be advised that this will erase any bios password except the administrator pasword. To erase teh Bios Admin password you have to send the machine back to IBM and if it is out of warranty they charge for it and dearly. Forgot to mention if you have replaced the Hard drive and installed your own copy of windows this will also not work.

3. rev1976

rev1976 Thread Starter

Thanks for you help dustyjay. Is there a way to backup my files and applications on that hidden partition?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    nope sorry this is one you cant even access. The only apps that will be there are the ones IBM installed. and once you do a reformat you are going to have reinstall your apps so they ae inthe registry anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/344414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice