1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

does anyone recognize this toolbar?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by angelmad_222, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelmad_222

angelmad_222 Thread Starter

I downloaded this program saying it would give me 500 new MSN emoticons to my email once installed, however instead, I received an extra new toolbar that is very annoying and useless and whenever I cant reach a page instead of the usual "cannot reach this page for so and so reasons" it comes up with something called "Search The Web"...the toolbar is included in a pic. Does anyone recognize or know what to do with it?

Attached Files:

2. BlueSpruce

BlueSpruce

Hi angelmad 222 ,

Please do the following ,

Download and install Ad-aware 6.0 Personal , Build 6.181 www.lavasoftusa.com Open Ad-aware , Click check for updates now , Click connect , update to reference file 01R218 13.09.2003 , Click Start , Click perform smart system scan , put a check in Activate in-depth scan. Click Settings (Gear wheel), put a check in the following , Automatically save log file , Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal , Safe mode ( Always request confirmation ). Click scanning , put a check in the following , Scan within archives , Scan active processes , Scan registry , Scan my IE favorites for banned URL's , Scan my Host file. Click Tweak , Scanning engine , put a check in Unload recognized processes during scanning. Click Cleaning engine , put a check in the following , Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion , Let windows remove files in use at next reboot. Click proceed , Run Ad-aware and remove every entry Ad-aware returns.

Shutdown & Reboot your computer

Download Hijack This www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ Press the scan button , Scan button becomes Save log button (Do not fix anything yet) , Save the log in the same folder Hijack This resides in , Copy and Paste the log to the forum. A TSG security Tech will review your log and offer recommendations.

Good luck

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Some toolbars are just spyware. I would delete it and run a scan with spybot and adaware. You may even notice an increase in the amount of spam that you receive.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Angelmad:

If you browse through your Add/Remove Programs list and the C:\Program Files folder, you will notice that it also added 3 - 4 entries there. Remove those items from the list, then delete the folders.

Install, update, and run Ad-aware 6.0.181 AND Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.2.0. Delete everything that Ad-aware brings up and delete everything in red that Spybot brings up.

We usually find out about spyware the hard way.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Nice find Flavallee :) I suspected it was spyware :rolleyes: Those guys will stop at nothing.

Angel, could you please tell us what the programs name is so that we can help the next person that has this same problem? Thanks ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice