1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

does anyone use more than one software based firewall?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kev269, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kev269

kev269 Thread Starter

Hi,

I would just like to know whether anyone uses more than one software based firewall?

The reason I am asking this is because I have WinXP with SP2, ZoneAlarm Firewall, NAV and all other patches available, but i still get the occasional lsass.exe 60 second shutdown error message. I've scanned many times with instructions from people on this forum, but I've never managed to find a virus.

Could there be something wrong with ZoneAlarm? Should I use install another firewall to make it double secure?

Thanks for your help.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx

3. Sanguines

Sanguines

I personally would not recommend using more than one firewall, for the reason that they are likely to conflict in their protections and give errors about it. I use Norton Internet Security 06 and the firewall from the router - Windows Firewall is disabled because it's an impossible piece of crap - and I certainly don't feel unsecure :)

4. kev269

kev269 Thread Starter

ok, so do you know any reasons why i get the occasional 60 second shutdown error message? could it be ZoneAlarm? could it be from the ISP?

5. cybertech

Sounds like a worm or virus to me. Do you have all of the Microsoft updates and an up to date Anti-virus program?

6. kev269

kev269 Thread Starter

yeah, as told to me on this forum before, i scanned using different virus protection software which is up to date including Norton, Kaspersky and some others. I did a HiJackThis log - nothing malicious found. I've tried the Windows malicious removal tool - found nothing, ive tried scanning for viruses in safe mode and also with system restore disabled - found nothing, ive tried many different spyware/malware programs - found nothing related to the virus, ive tried several sasser worm patches and found nothing..... oh and ive got all the patches including Service Pack 2 installed.

ive also tried formatting and the same thing happened again. I never connect to the internet after formatting until all patches and security software is installed.

7. cybertech

You can look in the Event viewer and find the event id and search by that to try and narrow it down.

8. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I have Trend Micro Internet Security and XP with Service Pack 2. I used to run the Trend Micro firewall but then I stopped using that and just relied on XP's firewall.

What's funny is that I was infected multiple times with spyware, adware, hijackers, and even the occassional virus while running Trend Micro's firewall. :rolleyes: (n)

Now, when running XP's firewall, no viruses turn up in weekly scans and my Ad-Aware SE scans only report a handful or so of relatively minor tracking cookies. :D (y)

XP firewall all the way. I'm getting a little fed up with Trend Micro. It is using more resources than it actually needs. When the subscription expires in June, I will definitely think twice before renewing it.

EA recommends turning off firewalls and AV programs before running Battlefield 2. My game plays much better turning off Trend Micro's real-time resource-hogging scan and leaving the XP firewall on.

9. kev269

kev269 Thread Starter

ok, if i have the event id, where do i search? thanks.

10. Stoner

Stoner Banned

11. kev269

kev269 Thread Starter

perhaps i should try Windows Firewall for a while and disable my ZoneAlarm and see how it goes...

12. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

The Windows Firewall is quite good, imo, but I never used ZoneAlarm before so I can't really give you an unbiased opinion.

But Trend Micro is getting on my nerves though. Not worth the $$$ that we forked over too, I don' think. :rolleyes:

13. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi kev269,

Please do not disable ZoneAlarm, it protects against outbound connection attempts by unauthorized software you may not know about that has invaded your system.

I use Trend Micro Internet Security 2005 for AV, and the PC-Cillin firewall with it in addition to the ZoneAlarm Free firewall. Haven't been bothered by viruses, worms, or any other pests, of course, I employ HIPS, and have tighened my TCP stack security and use a number of other tools to keep my system functioning smoothly.

When I daily look at the Security forums and the bewildered calls for help - I empathsize a lot, but have never had the terrible things happen to my computer because of the measures I have eimployed.

Most folks will tell you to not run two firewall. They say that for a good reason. Mostly, due to the redundancy and the probability of a conflict. In my case, I have not found any conflicts and my system appears to have always run smoothly, at startup, shutdown and in between.

-- Tom

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice