1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does disabling explorer.exe create any potential vulnerabilities?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Mobius8041, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mobius8041

Mobius8041 Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

In order to fix the 'color bug' in Age of Empires 2, I need to disable explorer.exe because Aero's color schemes mess up the colors. I've done this several times and before I start going crazy with disabling it, I was wondering if disabling explorer.exe created any potential vulnerabilities that could be exploited.

Best Regards.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

How did you 'disable' Windows Explorer? I don't think that can be done, given that it is central to booting up to a desktop.

I think you can just diable Areo, right click on desktop > properties > Themes > Windows classic theme.

3. osarius

osarius

explorer.exe is the process that deals with your desktop icons, your toolbar, your Explore windows and more.

You can't disable it from running, else you won't be able to do anything!

As lunarlander said:

if you want to disable Aero.

4. Mobius8041

Mobius8041 Thread Starter

I was able to disable explorer.exe by selecting it under the process tab in the task manager and ending the task. The desktop icons, toolbar etc. goes away and I can pull it back up by starting explorer again through the task manager. I'll try just disabling Aero and see if it works.

Thanks.

Edit: I use Windows 7, and going to a classic theme doesn't work.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

6. osarius

osarius

In an ironic way, ending Explorer.exe might actually close up some vunerablilites!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice