Does disabling explorer.exe create any potential vulnerabilities?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mobius8041

Hello everyone.

In order to fix the 'color bug' in Age of Empires 2, I need to disable explorer.exe because Aero's color schemes mess up the colors. I've done this several times and before I start going crazy with disabling it, I was wondering if disabling explorer.exe created any potential vulnerabilities that could be exploited.

Best Regards.

How did you 'disable' Windows Explorer? I don't think that can be done, given that it is central to booting up to a desktop.

I think you can just diable Areo, right click on desktop > properties > Themes > Windows classic theme.

explorer.exe is the process that deals with your desktop icons, your toolbar, your Explore windows and more.

You can't disable it from running, else you won't be able to do anything!

As lunarlander said:

right click on desktop > properties > Themes > Windows classic theme.
if you want to disable Aero.

Mobius8041

I was able to disable explorer.exe by selecting it under the process tab in the task manager and ending the task. The desktop icons, toolbar etc. goes away and I can pull it back up by starting explorer again through the task manager. I'll try just disabling Aero and see if it works.

Thanks.

Edit: I use Windows 7, and going to a classic theme doesn't work.

In an ironic way, ending Explorer.exe might actually close up some vunerablilites!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online