1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does download or upload speed matter for VPN?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bentleyboy, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bentleyboy

bentleyboy Thread Starter

My company rolled out a new VPN system and I am using it for the first time today. It is SLOW!! Much slower compared to the last system.

At the same time, I just moved to a new house. At my old house, I had a 100 mbps up/50 mbps down fiber optic connection. At my new house, I have a 150 mbps up/5 mbps down cable connection. I just ran a speed test and I'm getting about 157 down and 6 up.

So ... I am wondering if the slowness I am experiencing with my company's VPN a result of it being a crappier setup or if my significantly reduced upload speed is impacting the VPN performance.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Over the VPN or without the VPN?

Either way, the upload speed will only matter if you are uploading a lot. During "normal" usage we only upload small amounts of data looking for a web site or asking a question or acknowledgements.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I hope you mean 150 down and 5 up

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice