1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does dual channel ram works if i put different size?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nubitox, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nubitox

nubitox Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG] so i got lenovo legion y520 it has 8gb 2666(1333mhz) as stated in the cpu z, but task manager told differently it only runs at 2400 mhz so any advice? should i go buy the 2666mhz ram or just go with the 2400mhz ram and will it work if i put 4gigs with it? and do i need to buy the same brand? sorry for mu english

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello nubitox,

It is advisable but not always possible for one reason or another to be able to have matching sticks of RAM, in this instance making sure that the specs of the sticks of RAM are as closely matched as possible when it comes to the speed and latency of the RAM and 100% of the time the voltage and number of pins must be an exact match, 1.2V and 260 pins in your case, price wise examples in $ US, 4GB - $30, 8GB - $50 both another brand and $57.95 for an 8GB stick of same brand Ramaxel here Lenovo are asking $114+ for the same stick of RAM :mad:

Adding a 4GB stick would give you dual channel, 2400MHz is what the RAM had been OCd to as part of testing and keep in mind that if you were to add a second stick of faster RAM it would automatically be clocked backwards to the speed of any slower RAM present.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice