1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does DVD player need a driver to function?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wogster, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

I have an internal Samsung DVD-Player that I purchased used and installed in my computer, I did not get a driver with it, only a program called PowerDVD. When I put a DVD movie in the player and it loads, it says "no disc in D:", yet the disc is there. What is happening, and why does XP Pro not tell me what to do next, should there not be a driver in the O.S.'s database, or do I need to contact Samsung?

Wogster.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you have power DVD installed and it won't play a DVD then you are most likely having a hardware issue. Does it read regular CDs?

3. winbob

winbob

The Samsung unit probably has a standard driver included in Win/XP. When the OS installed the device it would have loaded the driver for it.

Check Device Mgr to ensure that the driver is loaded.

4. otoe1

otoe1

5. rhorne4

rhorne4

You Probally Got A Bad Drive If You Purchased It Used Because Windows Has All The Drivers You Need For Optical Drives.i've Never Seen Any Drivers That Need To Be Installed To Run Optical Drives.

6. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Okay.... this is getting weirder by the minute... XP has found the new (used) hardware and the driver is in place. I have just installed "Cyberlink Multimedia Launcher, DVD Program". Device manager says everything is working properly.... I put a DVD into the player, it begins the scanning sequence (unit light flashes for about 15 sec.), then nothing... all haults completely. "NO DISC IN DRIVE D:". The IDE cable is shared with the cd-burner, which should be the master, and which the slave? just maybe that's not set-up properly, could this be it. Could one be over-ridding the other?

Remember the DVD-Rom was working just fine before the hard-drive was formatted, after that... it's like it doesn't even exist when trying to play.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice