1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

does ghosting copy HDD problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by l1fel0ng, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

Question from a total idiot - sorry...
    Scenario is: of my two drives, the C: had started cycling during bootup, and running chkdisk every morning.
    IT support took it away, ghosted the contents of both drives, formatted D:, partitioned it, copied contents back into the partitions.
    Situation now is: bootup is worse than ever, cycling occurring without fail, error messages during bootup now longer and longer. Today's something to do with 'restore'.
    Is this a known thing? - that ghosting a drive will mean ghosting its technical problems as well?

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

Ghosting will not copy hard drive problems, but if the hard drive was instrumental in the corruption of the files and the file location database (FAT, NTFS, MFT), those things will not magically be repaired when the filesystem is copied to a good drive.

When someone brings a failing drive into the shop, and it is so complex with applications and configurations that they don't want a reinstall, sometimes, the next best option is to perform a repair install of the operating system, all of the updates and applications.

3. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

"if the hard drive was instrumental in the corruption of the files and the file location database (FAT, NTFS, MFT), those things will not magically be repaired when the filesystem is copied to a good drive"

Fair enough - and thank-you, by the way, for responding! - I can grasp this. :)

But I must be a bit boring, and ask you, following on my original question, would I expect to find things getting apparently worse? - in terms of the HDD cycling on bootup and Checkdisk taking longer and longer and reporting more and more things it's fixed?

4. PedroHin

PedroHin

Now that is unusual. Something else could be going on. I would not rule out bad memory, or even the new drive failing. Are you sure that the drive was replaced with a known good one?

5. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

It was replaced by my original D drive (see original post) - about a year old, and working perfectly.

6. PedroHin

PedroHin

7. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

I don't believe so, inasmuch as one of the problems that's arisen since the ghosting is that I can't access either the printer running off my second and very old PC and I can't seem to access either the DVD or the CD-ROM drives in this PC. When I tried to burn a disk of my .pst file, Windows kept telling me there was no disk in either drive.

8. PedroHin

PedroHin

If you have a flash drive, and your PC can boot from USB, there's another option. You can use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ prep the flash drive with it and then download memtest from the unetbootin application.

9. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

I'm sorry, because I do appreciate your input, but what you're saying is too technically demanding for me – I have no idea if my PC can boot from USB.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Making a copy of the drive with Ghost and then restoring it was a complete waste of time. The drive is then exactly the way it was before and all its problems were simply restored.

Try testing memory first. If that passes, try testing the hard drive itself (though it seems unlikely that the drive could be defective if Ghost restored your old system successfully).

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Tell your IT support team that they didn't fix the problem.

12. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

Ran MemTest and it reported 0 errors. :-|

13. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

This is all well and good tell me; but when I'm faced by a fast-talking bloke who knows I don't know anything, and who keeps telling me the hard drive was on the point of extinction...
    Only someone who knows what they're talking about can undertake this kind of conversation. Would it were not so...

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Then I'd guess the next most likely problem was the installation itself. You may be infected.

You can test the drive if you choose, though as I mentioned, i doubt Ghost would have succeeded if the drive were bad.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    Ariolic Disk Scanner (Checks disk for read errors)
    Manufacturer's Tests
    Victoria for DOS
    Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

(He told you the drive was bad? Then why not repalce it? The Ghost copy should have been restored to a new drive.)

15. l1fel0ng

l1fel0ng Thread Starter

"If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe"

Sorry for the lack of info. - I didn't realise this would be relevant...
    I'm running Win XP SP3...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice