1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does My Applications Slow Down My Computer?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JGamez, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JGamez

JGamez Thread Starter

Hello I have a windows 8.1 computer and I am trying to use it to the fullest and fastest it can be. One of the ways I use the computer is play using Steam. I have about 50 gigabytes worth of space used and have about 610 gb remaining. Will having my games and other stuff slow down my computer?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3980 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -2041 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 703461 MB, Free - 656306 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Thanks you can also contact me through < Moderator removed password. all help to be on the forum not by email >

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
  2. SM4SH

SM4SH

as long as you are not close to filling the hard drive (say 90% filled) then I would not worry about the computer slowing down simply by having stuff on the hard drive.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and complete model number of that Toshiba laptop?

Note: The complete model number will be 2 sets of characters separated by a dash.

----------------------------------------------------------

That laptop is running Windows 8.1 64-bit with 4 GB of RAM, but its Intel graphics device appears to be using a large part of it.

That leaves a noticably smaller amount to run Windows and your programs.

If it supports more than 4 GB, you might consider increasing it to 8 GB.

4. JGamez

JGamez Thread Starter

PSKFUU-0RR004 I am sure this is the model number name is Satelite L855 I don't care about graphics and looks and would rather have my computer the fastest it can be. How can I make the Intel Graphics less for performance? Also I won't really care to uninstall much of my stuff as I have a really good desktop.

I used these instructions to help speed up my computer.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CksK3YvinE

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You actually have a Toshiba Satellite L855-S5405 (PSKFUU-0RR004) laptop.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

According to its detailed specifications section, it came with 4 GB of RAM.

It supports up to 16 GB of RAM, so you definitely have the option to add more RAM to it.

Personally, I would add a 4 GB module to both slots and increase it to 8 GB.

It uses 204-pin DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600), 1.35/1.5 volt, unbuffered, non-ECC SODIMM modules.

6. JGamez

JGamez Thread Starter

So besides adding more RAM is there any other ways I can speed up this computer?

Update: I cleared up files I didn't need anymore so here is an update of my system.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3980 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -2041 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 703461 MB, Free - 674284 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here are a few ways:

1. Reduce the number of running processes.

2. Scan for and remove any malware, spyware, etc..

3. Remove the buildup of temp files.

4. Use the laptop on a hard flat surface so it doesn't overheat.

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. JGamez

JGamez Thread Starter

So can I have my 20gb worth of software on my computer without slowing it down? I am talking about Steam or my recording software. Which don't affect startup?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I know nothing about Steam or recording software, so I can't address any questions about them.

I'm just trying to advise you how you can improve speed and performance in your computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

10. JGamez

JGamez Thread Starter

I know I am asking if installing the games on the hard drive take up space, so will I lose speed?

11. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

As has already been said, not unless your hard drive gets really full. Adding RAM or switching to an SSD are the best ways to increase speed. But if you are concerned with speed while playing online games, it could be your internet service that is slow. With the fastest computer I've ever had (coincidently also a Toshiba Satellite), I can't even watch a YouTube video or stream music because of my slow connection.

12. golddust

golddust

Though I'm not familiar with Steam, I know the problems my daughter had with her computer playing WOW and lag was partially due to our slower internet which has been upgraded. Also, like it or not, the graphics card does play a part. In a laptop you're stuck with what you have. In a desktop, you may be able to upgrade to a better graphics card with dedicated memory.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice