Does my Hard Drive need to be replaced or is it repairable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CptCookie

Well, some good news. I have managed to locate the receipt of the laptop itself as well the Microsoft 8.1 Product Key I had written down. Still have not located the disk (not entirely sure if it came with one or not). So basically, all I need is the disk to install since I already have the product key.

In case I cannot find the disk, is there another way to obtain that data since I have the product key? Do I need to go the store or something or am I able to download Windows 8.1 for free off the internet or on the Microsoft website. Then I can simply put that onto a thumbstick or burn it to a CD and then put that in my laptop and use my product key to re-install Windows 8.1 on the new hard drive I will purchase.

CptCookie

Also, can anyone recommend where to get the best prices and product for hard drives while I am shopping online for a new one?

CptCookie

Ok! I'm guessing "product key" is the same as "COA" OR "install key" correct? If so, I do have the product key written down.

Using this older Windows 7 Home Premium PC, I have accessed the link provided and have downloaded the Windows 8.1 x64 bit ISO file successfully. After that, I copied the file to my friends 7GB thumb drive (the file itself is about 4 GB). For use when I get my new hard drive for my ASUS Windows 8.1 laptop.
But.. initially I wanted to burn the file to a CD (blank 4.7GB DVD+R), so I could keep it in case I need to re-install the OS in the future since I do not own a 4GB or higher thumb drive. but the CD drive on this Windows 7 PC is not working.
So I tried to copy the file from my friends thumb drive to my blank CD on my dads Windows XP laptop.
I also had the options to format the thumb drive on the Windows 7 OS prior to copying the Win 8.1 ISO file to the thumb drive. The three options were as follows: Fat32, ExFat, & NTFS. To my understanding, Fat32 is obsolete compared to ExFat. But NTFS is good for internal hard drives like for my laptop, so I selected NTFS format.
Problem is I can't get the Win 8.1 ISO file on the thumb drive to copy to the blank DVD+R on my dads Win XP laptop. I'm not sure why this is not working, but when I attempt this I get these two pop up messages...

"Confirm Stream Loss: The file 'Win8.1_English_x64' has extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Do you want to copy the file anyway?"

Then I hit "yes." And then the following message proceeds..

"Problem Copying: Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?"

Then I am offered the options to either 'retry' or 'cancel.' Retry doesn't change the result when selected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note:
I was watching some Youtube videos and reading. It seems that sometimes the heads gets stuck on the platter (which I am assuming is what happened to mine since I am getting the clicking sounds upon boot up) resulting in a faulty drive.
I have seen a few solutions offered and we have the tools to open up the drive itself. I figured I'd give it a shot and see if it works. I realize though that these methods are usually only temporary so that the person can get their files off the drive for backup in case they did not do so before. So it doesn't fix the drive or make it reliable since it is already breaking down anyway, correct?
I've seen some people suggesting putting it in the freezer, but I think that is a bad idea personally and maybe it worked for older drivers back in the day, but I'm not so sure about these more modern drivers. I was going to try the method where you twist it around and then pull the head back into place.
I also realize this can be a hit or a miss, but at this point the driver is already dead anyway, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain in the situation. Unless of course you really do need some important files on the faulty hard drive, then I would suggest sending it into a professional lab that handles that sort of thing.
Are there any other methods you folks are aware of for un-sticking the head on a bad hard drive or other ways to get it to boot up temporarily, perhaps software?

crjdriver

After that, I copied the file to my friends 7GB thumb drive (the file itself is about 4 GB
You do not copy the file. You use burning software to create the bootable disk from the ISO file. Simply copying the file does nothing.
If you intend on making an install dvd, use cdburnerxp or imgburn. If you intend on making a bootable usb, I like to use Rufus however there are a number of programs to accomplish this task.

CptCookie

You do not copy the file. You use burning software to create the bootable disk from the ISO file. Simply copying the file does nothing.
If you intend on making an install dvd, use cdburnerxp or imgburn. If you intend on making a bootable usb, I like to use Rufus however there are a number of programs to accomplish this task.
Hello CRJ, thank you for the info! Yes, that was my intention, to create a boot-table Win 8.1 disk for my laptop's new hard drive.
I downloaded CdBurnerXP. Currently running it now, figured it all out and burning the ISO image file to DVD+R.
My only concern is would you happen to know or estimate how long it will take? It's a 4.0 GB file. I started it about an hour ago and towards the very start, it's been stuck on 'Time Elapsed 00:00:33' Also cannot move the mouse. However it seems to be running as I can see the light on the disc drive blinking, so I know it's doing something. And yes, the disc drive works fine on the Windows XP I am currently burning the disc on. It's a Memorex DVD+R DL DVD-RW 16x disc drive.
It's writing at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s).

Should I try to compress the ISO file , say.. into ISZ? So it's not so many GBs to burn or would that not work on boot-up the way I am wanting it to if I did that?
I'm hoping it would be finished in about 6-8 hours from now at least? Otherwise going to have to plan this out on a weekend, can't borrow the laptop all work-week.

Last edited:
Did you follow the recording program instructions?
The file must be in * .iso format as downloaded from Microsoft (without any processing or compression).
upload_2018-7-2_11-24-8.png

CptCookie

Did you follow the recording program instructions?
The file must be in * .iso format as downloaded from Microsoft (without any processing or compression).
View attachment 265174
Yessir!
It's still stuck the same way it was about 6 hours ago. Probably gonna power down and try it again to double-check.
I posted on the forums on CdBurnerXP as well since it's their program. Hopefully get a response on there about it sooner rather than later.

If all else fails, I'll just try another program that offers that service.

Last edited:

crjdriver

I have not made a windows install dvd in quite a while however as I recall, it takes about 6 or 7min to burn the iso to dvd. Are you by chance using a RW ie rewriteable disk? If so, that often fails; I used dvd-R and never had a problem.
I must have at least 2 spindles of the 100 dvd blank disks sitting in the parts closet. They are just not used much anymore.

crjdriver

Imgburn is a better program however it is not as "user friendly" as cdburnerxp. I prefer imgburn however usually I recommend using cdburnerxp for most people.

crjdriver

You might try using rufus to create a bootable usb.
Do understand that any data currently on the usb will be destroyed.

managed

Allan
If you install ImgBurn you just right click the ISO file and select 'Burn using ImgBurn'.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online