Does my PSU have too many watts for my motherboard?

khalim786

So i've finally decided to upgrade my graphics card and I thought it was a simple situation of take one out and put the other in however little did I know that my case was too small, the power supply was too weak and I was missing PCI cables since my old gpu didn't need any. Later on I decided to buy a more powerful psu which fits in the case just about but now I have the question of is the watts of my psu too much for my motherboard? The motherboard is about a decade old but has the compatible slots for the gpu and psu but would the big amount of watts kill the motherboard and potentially the pc? The new psu watts is 660w the GPU is a gamerock nvidia 1080 the motherboard is from a dell optiplex 390. The case is a dell optiplex 390 all the other components are compatible my concerns are just the relationship between the GPU PSU and motherboard. For extra context the CPU is an I7 2600k. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Im new here.

Hello khalim786,

I have the question of is the watts of my psu too much for my motherboard?
Unlike not having enough power having a PSU that can provide more will do zero harm, the system will only draw from the PSU the power that it requires.

Making sure that you have clean and stable power is equally as important as have enough power available, you have a pretty high end GPU there so if me I would be making sure that I had a Gold efficiency rated PSU from Corsair, EVGA or Seasonic.

Last edited:

khalim786

Alright cheers, another question I have is I started to do some changes to my current pc case because space is limited. I had to chisel out the hard drive cage and put the hard drive elsewhere however the hard drive is kicking up a whole lot of heat and I'd hate for it to burn out and I lose all my data. Also since I've been trying to make some changes to my pc i've noticed a few odd issues. My first issue is when I load up my pc it has 3 errors. Hard drive fan not spinning, I/O cable error and one other error related to fans. I checked my pc and all the fans are spinning. Not too sure what it means by hard drive fan maybe theres one inside the HDD? But on top of these errors when I load up windows the screen bugs out a little so theres blue lines across the screen for a moment and the dots that spin around under the windows logo now go straight across the screen in a very unorganised line. Any idea where the faults may be?

HDDs do not have their own fans and they only get hot if they are failing or almost full of data, both can lead to the loss of all data on the drive.

Being a Dell the BIOS will be both limited and locked, if you have changed the cooling set up that the computer shipped with the Dell BIOS will report the changes.

The new psu watts is 660w
What is the brand and model name or number of this PSU, not all brands are equal and some are so bad that you couldn`t trust them as a door stop.

khalim786

HDDs do not have their own fans and they only get hot if they are failing or almost full of data, both can lead to the loss of all data on the drive.

Being a Dell the BIOS will be both limited and locked, if you have changed the cooling set up that the computer shipped with the Dell BIOS will report the changes.

What is the brand and model name or number of this PSU, not all brands are equal and some are so bad that you couldn`t trust them as a door stop.
The new PSU is a seasonic 660W 80+ gold rated. I did put it in the case last night only to find I was missing a 4-pin connector which is supposed to go from the motherboard to the PSU. I had got a 24-pin connector with the new PSU so when I plugged it in to the motherboard and the PSU. Then I switched on the mains and an orange light on the motherboard came on to show it was getting some power. Without the 4-pin I cannot fully switch on my PC so therefore I ended up taking the New seasonic PSU back out and put the old dell 265w PSU back in. I had seen that when I switched on the new PSU there was a high pitched noise, very quiet but enough for me to notice it and I was thinking oh no is it going to blow up :/

Seasonic PSUs are said to be the best that there is and I am inclined to agree.

Sounds like the 12V supply for the CPU was missing.

A 265W PSU should not be used anywhere near an add on video card.

crjdriver

Post the exact brand and model# of the seasonic. I highly doubt it did not come with the correct connectors unless your board uses a proprietary pw connector.
I'd hate for it to burn out and I lose all my data
Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

Just my opinion however attempting to upgrade a dell, hp, or other big box system is very often an exercise in futility. Big box stuff is often proprietary and is NOT mfg to industry standard specs.

khalim786

Post the exact brand and model# of the seasonic. I highly doubt it did not come with the correct connectors unless your board uses a proprietary pw connector.

Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

Just my opinion however attempting to upgrade a dell, hp, or other big box system is very often an exercise in futility. Big box stuff is often proprietary and is NOT mfg to industry standard specs.
The seasonic model is a SS-660KM from the Xseries gold rated aswell. But I did buy it off facebook market place so thats probably why it was missing that one wire. All the other wires were there though and a few extras incase some broke. They all looked original on top of that.

Backing up my HDD storage would be a good option however for storing about 100gb of data what would be best? A USB a SSD or another HDD?

As for my dell optiplex. Personally it wasn't my first choice either. Its a mini tower and the inside layout was disgusting however the external looks kind of grew on me. I did get it as a christmas present 3 years ago and it was prebuilt with a 1050ti , I7-2600k 2TB HDD 256Gb SSD 265w PSU and 16GB ram. For £300 at the time it seemed like a good option but I had next to 0 knowledge of the internals of a PC all I knew is how to use the windows software. On the plus side included in the £300 was a 60hz monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Main issue with my PC is the motherboard because although everything I currently have in my PC is compatible I do not know if my new 1080 will be even though new GPU's are said to be backwards compatible with PCI slots. Not to forget that if I install my new PSU I can have the side panel on my pc but I have to take the locking mechanism out in order to fit the PSU because the new PSU is slightly longer than the old PSU. The new PSU does screw into place like the old one does though. So I guess I'll just have to have my pc laid against a wall so that the side panel doesn't fall off if I put my new PSU in but I reckon it's time for a new case however I really do want to keep my disk drive that I have but all the newer and more modern cases don't have disk drive space.

khalim786

Seasonic PSUs are said to be the best that there is and I am inclined to agree.

Sounds like the 12V supply for the CPU was missing.

A 265W PSU should not be used anywhere near an add on video card.
With my current 1050ti only drawing out 70w theres plenty to go round to the other components. I had put in my 1080 whilst having the 265w PSU in and the GPU had turned on and the fans spun however no display was shown. I realised that I didn't have my PCI cables plugged in and the PSU was too weak anyways. Just wondering if I were to have my 1080 and plug in the PCI cables from the 1080 into the 660w PSU and not have the 1080 plugged into the mother board would the 1080 still power on? Or would the 1080 also need to be plugged into the slot on the motherboard aswell as having it plugged into the PSU via PCI cables in order for it to turn on?

crjdriver

The specs show one 4+4 cpu pw connector. Your board probably uses a 4pin. The 4+4 has a clip that you can unclip and use either one of them.
I really do want to keep my disk drive that I have but all the newer and more modern cases don't have disk drive space.
I do builds all the time and I have never seen a case that did not have at the very least one 3.5" mount for a hd. Many now are behind the motherboard tray and you do not see them.

managed

Allan
Rather than messing about with that case and motherboard I would seriously consider replacing both with more standard ones.

crjdriver

Rather than messing about with that case and motherboard I would seriously consider replacing both with more standard ones.
I agree you are never going to be happy trying to upgrade a dell, hp, etc. While you can install a larger drive or more memory, that is really the limit of practical upgrades. This is just one of the reasons why I say attempting to upgrade a big box system is an exercise in futility.

khalim786

So I figured out that my GPU (1080) is compatible with my PC. I currently have a 1050ti in there and have a 1080 on the shelf. Both are palit branded and I did put my 1080 in today and for some reason I got a black screen when I turned my PC on. All the GPU fans were spinning the RGB lights were on and I checked all the connections to the GPU and PC and all were fine. When I say the RGB lights were on they basically turned on when I pressed the power button then went off a few seconds later however when I removed the 8-pin PCI cable from the GPU while the pc was on and the GPU fans were spinning the lights came back on and remained on. There was a brief moment when I heard a loud beep coming from my PC it was just one single beep. There is enough power to run the GPU all PCI cables were attached. Just no display. Not even the BIOS screen loaded. When I pressed any keys on my keyboard it would stimulate further beeps. There is only one light on the motherboard and its an orange one which is always on even when I had my 1050ti in that light would be on so I don't think that would be telling there's an issue. Any ideas what may be wrong with my 1080. Im sure its not a problem with my PC as it runs fine with the 1050ti in it.

NOTE: New thread started by OP merged into this thread by an admin.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my current 1050ti only drawing out 70w
It is the card manufacturer that is expected to honour any warranty should the card break and from memory I don`t recall seeing any 1050 or 1050Ti that did not require the computer to be powered by a minimum of a good quality 300W PSU, that asides, your Dell PSU most like only puts out circa 180W.

cwwozniak

Chuck
khalim786, after replying to your thread I discovered that you already had an active discussion going in another thread that appears to be for the game graphics cards and the same computer. I have merged them into one. In the future, please do not start new threads for the same problem.

So I figured out that my GPU (1080) is compatible with my PC.
We have no way of confirming your assumption without knowing the brand and exact model number of the motherboard and the exact CPU that is installed.

There is enough power to run the GPU
Again, we have no way of confirming your assumption without knowing the brand and exact model number of the PSU and what other power-consuming hardware you have in your computer. According to the Palit website, their 1080 card uses 180 watts vs. 75 watts for the 1050 ti.

https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2604&lang=en&pn=NEB1080015P2-1040J&tab=sp

https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2719&lang=en&pn=NE5105T018G1-1076F&tab=sp

I heard a loud beep coming from my PC it was just one single beep.
A single short beep would typically indicate normal bootup. A long beep could be indicating a serious hardware problem. We have no way of being sure, lacking information on your motherboard.

Please provide a parts list of all major components in your build. I may not be able to provide a solution, but the information could help another member to help you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online