1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

does my video card overheats because it's getting old??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gal_kimhi, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

hey!

i bought a new computer last year, with nice specs.

my radeon Sapphire 4870HD 1GB Vapor-x had no problems in the past, but sometime when i play games, there is a sudden system hang, and if i dont stop playing the whole system gets completely stuck after a few of these.

i must add that the same games never had these issues before

i checked the temps of the card, and i saw that it reached 93 degrees on load performance, which is a lot, i think.

can u help me? what should i do? maybe it's not the video card?

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Do you think you would be able to open the side of the case (ussually just two screws on the back left side of the case) It may be a build up of dust in the cooler on the graphics card.

3. Bernardo

Bernardo

Fan spinning on it? Freely?

4. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

yeah it spins.

and i just cleaned the whole inside of the case with a condensed air can.

5. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

another thing - it sometimes happens when the system is idle - with no activity whatsoever it just freezes and i have to reboot....

WHAT IS THIS????

6. the_man550

the_man550

Download ATiTool (google) and run a 'scan for artifacts' test, see how it fares.

7. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

i ran it for 3:30 minutes and it didnt find anything
    should i run it longer?

8. the_man550

the_man550

Yes, definitely. At least 20-25 minutes, the more the better.

Keep track of your temperatures meanwhile.

9. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

ok i ran it for 40 minutes, at which time the gpu temp was at 92 degrees and no artifact was found...

10. the_man550

the_man550

What chassis do you have? (if you can't find a name or image, just describe a little how many fans there are etc)

Those temperatures are way, way, way too high. Are you technically capable of dismounting the graphics card and check the thermal paste? It's not that hard I might add.

Other than that it's hard to say. One thing you might check is if your PSU gives the 12v line correct voltage. To do this, enter your BIOS and search for something mentioning voltages. Check the 12v line and report back what it says.

Also try reinstalling/downgrading your graphics cards driver.

EDIT: Btw, when you say there were no artifacts, does that mean ATiTool said 'no errors for XX:XX' or does that mean that you kept watching it and that no yellow dots/lines appeared? ATiTool doesn't report all errors that might cause a system lockup, but rather just shows them.

11. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

chassis - aerocool S9

about the thermal paste - i didn't get any thermal paste with the card. is there some thermal paste on it from the factory? i can check it, just tell me how... i put the computer together myself, it wasn't that hard..

about the voltage in the BIOS - i couldn't get a read because all the voltage meters are on AUTO.

i will try to downgrade my ATI drivers, although i tried that before.

i didn't stare at the screen for 40 minutes, so i can't say i did or did not see any dots or lines, but whenever i did stare at it, there were no lines. also it said : "no errors" on the display

12. the_man550

the_man550

The card should definitely ship with thermal paste attached to it, however there it seldom any included with it. Or rather, there's never any additional included.
    I have no idea how you dismount that exact card, you'll have to google for a guide. It's most likely easy to find.
    Keep in mind that dismounting the card will void the warranty

The voltage can be checked with software. Download Everest ultimate edition
    http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads
    (the one at top)
    Navigate to where the voltages are.

Report back all voltages you can find, as there's a possibility the motherboard might be the failing component rather than the GPU.

That gave me yet another idea. Check all temperatures you can find in the sensor area of everest as well, the north/south bridge might be overheating.
    Most likely, there were no lines. If there are any they tend to be consistent.

If the voltage seems correct there's a big possibility that your card is dead.

13. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

when you say dismount the card - do you mean to just take it out of its motherboard socket? if so, why would it void the warranty? i bought all the parts separately...

about the voltages - i will just write all the voltages i could find:

in "computer- sensor":
    computer>sensor:

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.39 V
    +3.3 V 3.45 V
    +5 V 5.00 V
    +12 V [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    +5 V Standby 6.42 V
    VBAT Battery 3.38 V

motherboard>cpu> cpu physical info:

I/O voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V

motherboard>chipset>northbridge properties:

core voltage 1.0 V

motherboard>BIOS>BIOS settings

CPU Voltage 1.3500 V
    CPU/NB Voltage 1.1750 V
    DRAM Volt. 1.800 V
    HT Volt. 1.200 V
    NB Volt. 1.300 V
    SB Volt. 1.200 V
    VDDA Volt. 2.500 V
    CPU Frequency 200.00 MHz
    CPU Ratio 14.0x

14. the_man550

the_man550

By dismount I mean screwing it apart entirely. The card as you see it consists of two pieces; the cooler and the chip. Between those two there's thermal paste which increases heat transfer, albeit it ages and should be exchanged every one or two years. Feels odd (even if possible) that it'd be old already, so I'd recommend waiting with that until we have concluded what the 12v is at.

Those voltages weren't nice. the 5V is indeed not used much according to what I know, but 1.42V above is a great deal of extra power. The 3.3v shouldn't be above the mentioned 3.3v either. I think we might be onto a bad PSU here.

However it was irritating that it won't report the 12v rail. I'll have to ask you to download SpeedFan,
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan440.exe
    It'll report a few of the basic voltages and, which I'm after, the 12v rail.

edit: my English is very odd today. Guess you understand anyway ;)

15. gal_kimhi

gal_kimhi Thread Starter

speedfan values:

vcore1: 0.00v
    vcore2: 1.79v
    +3.3v: 1.15v
    +5v: 5.00v
    +12v: 4.93v
    -12v: -3.97v
    -5v: -1.39v
    +5v: 5.05v
    Vbat: 3.38v

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice