Does Norton Ghost clone unallocated clusters?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

B4rry

Hi,
I have had a system crash which has reset a file length (ie Win2000 now thinks it is a small file, but previously it was >1G!).

I used Norton Ghost to take a complete 'clone' of the whole logical disk, but reading their help doesnt completely reassure me that a clone is a "mirror" image - ie a copy sector by sector, not just the allocatted clusters.

Can anyone help me?
or are there any other products that DO take a mirror copy?

Thanks ... barry

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
When they clone, they copy everything useful, but it doesn't clone unused space. I'm not aware of any product that does a 1:1 copy. I think you can do that with Linux commands, perhaps a Knoppix boot CD might help.

Have you checked the many command line switches for GHOST to see if you can force it to copy all sectors?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Ghost WILL do a sector copy if you choose the correct options.
The one you want is -id (image disk) but it will copy the whole PHYSICAL disk not just a partition

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I thought I remembered an option like that, thanks Dave. :)

B4rry

Thank you.

Following your instructions, I now have a complete mirror of the drive ... and feel much more secure.

Thank you ... barry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online