1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does not auto-restart now?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by PCMan78, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I just performed a fresh format and install of Windows ME and I don't know if I may have accidently hit a setting or what, but when you click on restart, it will go all the way to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner and the screen will just stay there. I have tried multiple times and it does the same thing. Any ideas on how to make it auto-restart? Thanks!

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What brand of computer are you referring to? Enter the BIOS, sometimes called 'Setup', and load the default settings.

3. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I'm sorry. Just an IBM compatible PC:

Celeron 2.4GHz
    PC-Chips Mobo
    512Mb PC133
    80Gb HD
    Windows ME

I will try that. Thanks!

4. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I entered BIOS and set both "best performance" and "optimal" setting options. Still when I boot Windows ME it will come to a black screen with a blinking horizontal cursor in the upper left hand corner. It still does not auto-restart. Any more ideas?

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Did audio, video sound work correctly on your computer work before you formatted? Are you waiting three minutes while the cursor flashes in the left upper screen to see if the computer will finish booting?

If the computer won't boot any and won't work correctly, you may want to try your Windows install again. Please see the following printable attachment on how to Start From Scratch.

These and other tutorials can be had from PC911

Attached Files:

6. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

Went ahead and did an fresh format and install of Windows Me again. Works great now. Don't know what it was?? Kinda curious in a way. Thanks!

7. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I formated and re-installed windows me and the computer rebooted fine until I installed my driver for the Geforce2 MX 400 card. After I installed it, the computer rebooted and it then asked me if I wanted to setup Nview. I went through some configuration options, then after I rebooted again, the computer hung on a blank screen. I then knew it was probably Nview doing something. So I rebooted manually and un-installed the Geforce Drivers and then re-installed them without setting up Nview the next time around. This time the computer booted great with no problems. Thanks guys!

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Who'd have quessed it was part of the vid card's software features. I'll keep it in 'memory' for future issues.

Good catch!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice