1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

does ram and cpu matter?

Discussion in 'Games' started by benj1290, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. benj1290

benj1290 Thread Starter

hi im new and i play alot of call of duty.... and i was woundering if ram matters and i got a 2.4 cpu and does that matter?

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

welcome to tsg!
    2.4 cpu is fine for call of duty. I have amd which is better performance but is only at 2.1 so if you are amd you are well off and if you are intel than that is still better than my 2.1
    Ram does matter. people claim the minimum is 256 mb of ram but i don't beleive it. 512 is what i'd say and anything more is great. The more ram the better but you don't need to go above 512. ;) ;) don't forget about video memory. i'd stick with a 64 mb video card or above for playing games these days.

3. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

its getting to the age of PC gaming where 64 mb video cards are outdated. go for a 128mb + video card.

more ram pretty much means faster comp.

i too have a 2.1 ghz amd processor, 1 gig of ram, and a e-geforce fx 5600xt 256mb video card. i can play the latest games great.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ur too good. what would i do for a good graphics card... alot. Yah now 64 is the bare minimum. but ram all the way 1gig+ for hardcore gaming. and ur cpu is fine dude.

5. Neumie

Neumie

Well video card ram is not as important as the graphics cards chip.
    Time for one of my long stories.
    My laptop has a 64MB mobility radeon 9600 on it. My brother has a 128Mb geforce FX go 5600 on his laptop. We have the same ram, processor etc. My machine constantly beats his in 3D mark 03 and 05 and Doom 3 isn,t even playable on his machine. Remember that most bioses allow the Graphics card to borrow some of your main ram. It,s called the AGP arpeture size. So it,s best to go for a faster chip with less memory than to go for one with more ram and a slower chip. Well thats usually the case anyway :).
    Long story over

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

;) ;) if you have the money, howbout just buy the absolute best chip on the market- but you'd need a really good computer to get the best outta it.

7. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

*laughs*

8. colman77

colman77

If you've got less than 512mb of RAM, buying more, most likely, will improve your performance. Above 512... it's hard to say how much 768MB or 1024MB would improve performance over 512, but I'd wager it's not enough to justify the cost if you're on a tight budget.

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

heck, with xp usin up 200+ mb memory on this system leaving a mere 200 left, (estimates) i'm thinkin now 768 better.

10. KeithKman

KeithKman

Your frames per second are affected by your whole computer, not just your graphics card. Having more RAM and a fast CPU will help a lot.

11. colman77

colman77

let's see... I've only got 256MB... that leaves me with... DOH!!

Once I asked my parents for a new computer. My dad brought home a broken one from work. It was a pentium 1 with 32mb of EDO RAM.
    "Well, it's new to us," he said.
    :)

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

13. benj1290

benj1290 Thread Starter

ok thank you guys so much.... i guess im geting a whole new computer
    :cool:
    its got the works in it ;)

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

whats urs now, (just cpu speed and ram) you may not need too. i mean 2.4 is really good all u need is a lil ram but u have plenty. you don't need to spend money on a computer when u got a good one in my eyes. ( i play games fine and mine is worse than urs)
    but if you are make a new thread and people can give u good ideas on best buys on the markets.

15. benj1290

benj1290 Thread Starter

well im only 15 and my parents are devoriced and im geting a new computer at moms(i got no computer there) at my dad (2.4 ghz computer) im going to upgrade

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/296456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice