1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does SBS come in different versions?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pfiltz, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

We're running Small Biz Server at all our locations. I'm setting up a new box to replace our old one in a couple of weeks.

Dose SBS come in different versions? I'm not real familar with it, and was just curious. The one thing they must have is SQL embedded in the OS due to the high cost of FULL blown SQL Server.

2. rhynes

rhynes

sbs comes in 2000/2003 and 2003 R2, that's about it. Still an all in one server. It's very common for people to buy sbs just for the sql, cause it's alot cheaper.

Are you setting it up just for sql or are you planning on running exchange and isa as well?

3. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

be setup to replace what we have now, which is nothing more than a file/print server, with SQL running on it from SBS. No exchange or ISA.

When I go to Help About in Control Panel, its telling me we're running Windows 2000 Server. This is the same machine of which SQL is running on as well. They have some production programs written that use SQL for data storage and reporting.

They also use Crystal Reports to extract data from the SQL database.

I'm getting a new Dell Server in a week or two, and was curious as to whether it's worth upgrading to another or latest version of SBS, when everything pretty much runs fine as is. We just needed to upgrade the whole box due to the age of it, hence the hardware purchase.

We have a seperate box running SBS and it's acting as a DC with active directory on it for our domain.

4. rhynes

rhynes

ouch, you can't do it that way pfiltz... only one sbs is allowed on a network, hence small business server...

5. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

This was setup before I came on board, but I'm looking at both boxes in my office.

1 is a DC running AD for our domain. I guess the other box is running SBS as well, and running SQL on it. It also has the accounting software that they use, as well as time and attendance. Employee home drives as well as shared drives are on that box.

According to the girl that hired me, that main box with the apps and such is nothing more than a client running 2K server on it, however; it's also running SQL, which makes me think it's running SBS as well. How do I verify what box is running what? I know that sounds dumb, but I'm lost on SBS anyway.

The current configuration has been in place for around 6 years now.

I know for a fact, they don't have SQL 2000 ;) Due to the HIGH $$$$$$$

6. rhynes

rhynes

under the system icon in the control panel it will tell you that...

When you have SBS, it has to be the domain controller and handle all the FSMO (Flexible Single Master Operations) roles.

You can however add 2000/2003 member servers to it.

You really should start digging in and finding out what you have on that network before beginning the new server... do a network map, listing servers, shared files, roles etc.

7. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Sure..

I always have an option of making the "new" box, the DC for AD as well as file/print services and bring the other server off line, can't I ?

What has me confused about this SBS deal, is that one box is running AD, and "IS" the domain controller, while the other box, is running Windows 2000 Server, and has SQL running on it, which lends me to think it's running SBS as well, since they don't have SQL 2000 in house.

8. rhynes

rhynes

yes you can always do that... :)

9. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Thanks.

You did answer my question about SBS coming in different flavors. 2000 / 2003.

I'm not sure the upgrade to 2003 will be much of a benefit. I need to check with the reseller on that aspect.

Thanks for the help.

10. rhynes

rhynes

I don't think the cost is so different between 2000 and 2003... There's alot of faq's on the net to tell you the differences...

And actually, if memory serves, there is a premium edition to sbs 2003 you might want to check into...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/493500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice