1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does size really matter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ingeborgdot, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I guess it depends on who you ask[​IMG]
    Really, though I do have a question about SSD and size. It has been asked over and over but I have not seen any threads that really answer my question.
    What size SSD would be the best option for me? I do your normal computer operation but do a lot of serious video work. I have many programs that I need to use for different things that I do. Several different things for video(large programs) office, programs that I have for home automation, hundreds of gb of music, hundreds of pictures, tb of video. Large programs for pictures. I know I won't store any of the music, pics or video on the SSD.
    I have read many, many, many conflicting reports on what to do with your SSD. My big question is will I get faster video rendering if the program is on the OS drive? Where is the best place to put my programs. On another drive or on the same partition as the OS? I want what will be best for video work.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will try and give you some answers however do understand that there is really no definitive answer; it is all subjective.

Video rendering or editing is very cpu intensive so a faster quad or 6 core cpu is going to give you faster video editing.

I would say a ssd in the 60~90gig size is more than enough for win7, office, photoshop, and other basic apps. Store work files on a large mech hard drive like a WD 1tb black series.

I can tell you that a ssd drive is the single biggest boost to performance you can do to a system. I have an ocz vertex2 drive that boots win7 in 12 seconds after post. From pushing the pw ON button until desktop appears it is 22 seconds.

Do understand that win7 is the only os that natively supports ssd type drives. While you can use xp on a ssd, there is no TRIM support and you must align partitions prior to installing xp.

3. ingeborgdot

I usually put all my programs on another partition or hdd. Is that not a recommended thing to do? Will I get better performance with programs on the same partition as the OS?

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I have a 90 gig Vertex 2 and I get the best video editing performance using the SSD as my scratch disk, there's only 30 gigs available for me to designate for scratch disk purposes so bigger would be better (but way more expensive too) but for me 30 is workable. It fills up after two or three projects and I have to jettison the lot before moving on again is all.
    But with the scratch disk there, I get significantly better scrubbing and background processing (something Pinnacle always does unless kept from doing it) performance, maybe 30% better it seems like and that can mean the differnce between a jerky, halting scrub and a fairly darn smooth one.
    I only have this setup on one system though (again due to economics) so I don't know if this is a good long-term thing to ask of a SSD or if other setups would be consistent. This one has been very good to me in this configuration so far.

5. ingeborgdot

So you are not using the SSD as your OS disc?

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I use it for everything except data storage, the big source and destination files get thier own disk(s).

7. ingeborgdot

Would you be so kinds as to explain how your setup is setup?:)

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Uff, lost power overnight, well, got a good nights sleep that way!
    My setup is as straight-forward average as can be; I just imaged my OS partition from the mechanical drive that was in my system to the SSD. I have my data on eSATA and USB 3 externals but they have mechanical drives in them so they are pretty fast but not as fast as the SSD.
    The increased speed of data exchange with RAM seems to make a big difference, at least when working with files and projects that are far larger than RAM can accomodate all at once.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Here's mine using XP.
    All my Data is in my HDD Data Partitions ..
    My HDDs contain bootable backups of the OS system .. (Fresh Installs, mostly updated) ...
    (Masters of the OS in the SSD)

About the only place where I really feel the speed is when I select a picture, or pictures,
    And tell them to open in Photoshop .. (Apps load really fast)
    Does this help ??

Attached Files:

• 111.gif
      111.gif
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
  10. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yeah,I use XP also on my serious systems because the OS by and large is less observant of multitasking reserve..in other words I get more CPU on the job with XP than I do with Windows 7 when there's a long term (hours) CPU-intensive task to process, and I can't game and render at the same time even on a Windows 7 system anyway...there's always some skipping and jerking during gameplay.

Which isn't to say I don't like Windows 7; its just trying to be too helpful and anticipatory in cases like rendering.

For instance, right now I have a render job going on another system, booted into XP, 4 CPU processor, and she's a busy little beaver, 95-100% CPU usage constant. If it were Windows 7 I'd be lucky to get 70%, probably only get low 60s. Different computer use philosophies at work there.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice