1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does swapping antennas on wifi routers really help with signal range?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by St!nkf!nger, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

So here's my situation. The wife and I got these [email protected] phones from T-mobile which lets you use your wifi connection to make phone calls. We think this option might finally let us get rid of our land line.

Anywho, my wifi router is in the basement and initially the phones signal reception was spotty. So I decided to move the router to the living room just to see if it works any better. It does work better, but there are still a few weak/dead spots in the house (not a huge house mind you, but it is old and has plaster walls and the like).

Tonight while I was at Circuit City I spied a wifi antenna that was probably around a foot tall that claims to dramatically boost your wifi signal. I'm considering picking it up, but am leery as to how well these things work. Does anyone use anything like this? How noticeable is the difference?

In the best case scenario I'd like to move everything back to the basement and have this new antenna doing what it claims it does so I can keep the living room clutter free.

I've also considered buying a new Linksys WRT54G wireless router and flashing it with the homebrew firmware which apparently greatly boosts the signal strength. Could I do this and have it fit my best case scenario?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. attman

attman

I flashed my firmware (differnt router) and it helped immensely

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

4. St!nkf!nger

@attman

So which router exactly did you flash?

5. attman

attman

I have a WRT54G V2 with Sveasoft firmware.

Version is important - if I remember you cant flash a V5 and above. You need to be sure before you buy the router.

6. NetReign

NetReign

Remember the old radio days? The higher the radio tower the furthur the signal will go??? The same applies here, my experience has been no matter what I try the signal isnt going to ho UP ^^^ (as in above the basement). Routers are designed to feed outward<<<<>>>>. You could try the antenna but I think you might be dissapointed. Hope this helps a bit..

7. JohnWill

Actually, while the previous statement has a grain of truth, it is quite possible to increase the signal strength and favorably affect the range with add-on antennas and signal boosters. :)

You can also put the antenna on a 45 degree angle to change the propagation pattern if that helps... :)

8. St!nkf!nger

I broke down and bought the Belkin antenna and it seems to give no better reception than the stock antenna.

The WRT54G is the model I was looking at, but if I need v5 or below how do I find such things. I can't imagine they're still available on the shelves, and eBay vendors seem to be hit or miss in regards to what they know about their product. Any suggestions on where I might find one?

9. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

10. JohnWill

I've used hi-gain antennas for years, and they have made a significant difference here.

11. NetReign

NetReign

I stand corrected, every time I try to use an antenna, I miserably fail. The ONLY thing I can say that worked at all is a homemade "cantenna" with a pringles can. I could "borrow" signal from the local coffee shop up the street. Those are really cool. I am impressed with the setup in the basement however, maybe the indian burial ground that I might have built over is causing my problem....LOL

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice