1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does Tech Support Need both Old and New PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sarahndipity, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarahndipity

sarahndipity Thread Starter

I bought a new PSU, that came in the mail today. Once I started up the computer I discovered that my USB ports don't work. Last Friday when my video card died, my 4 year old broke the two front USB ports. The computer's manufacturer surmises this shorted out the back ports and now wants to replace the motherboard and case. Both are under warranty, thank goodness.

So now my conundrum, I didn't buy the new PSU from the manufacturer, but it is the same brand as my old one. Do I just send the box back with the new one (which lets them organize the cables ten times better than I can) or do I put the old one back in? Or do I send both? There is nothing wrong with the old PSU, it's just not powerful enough for my new graphics card, which is NOT leaving my possession!

I'm sure I'm over thinking this, I just don't want to be screwed over.

Thank you for any help or advice. :)

2. Sponsor

3. vicks

vicks

I suspect that the new PSU would void the warranty.
    vicks

4. hewee

hewee

Yea may want to send it back the way it was when you got it so they can't say you voided the warranty.

5. sarahndipity

I was thinking that too. Except that in the warranty it does state that the customer is free to make upgrades on their own. It does state that they're not responsible if the problem is a result of such upgrades, which this isn't. But it appears to be a damned if I do, damned if I don't type of scenario, as it states that if the original hardware is improperly handled by someone other than them, including the customer, that they are not responsible. So it appears to be partly a trust issue. Do I trust this company to not screw me over? On the tech support side, I'm about 75+% confident that they will be honest.

Am I over thinking this?

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi sarahndipity

I would only send them what you originally purchased.
    If you send them more, you might not get it back. No need to confuse the issue by bringing new hardware into the equation.

After the system has been returned and you verify it works properly, then you can reinstall your upgrades.

You are only sending them the tower?

7. sarahndipity

Aye, just the tower. Unfortunately, the current video card in the tower doesn't work, and so whether I send in the old or new PSU, the new one will have to be in the case with the new video card before I boot it up, or else the old PSU will probably go boom. I am not sending them the new video card, as I'm pretty sure they'll charge me to install it into the replacement tower.

Would emailing them for clarification possibly cause more issues than it is worth?

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Probably.

If the original video card does not work, if necessary, they will probably use another known good video card.
    If it goes boom after being returned, I guess they would have to fix that.

Let them do the work, don't diagnose it for them. ;)

9. sarahndipity

One snag, apparently the company added a 'customer issues file' and when I first called I mentioned I had just installed the new PSU, and they said to send both... So it's now on record that both the old and new PSUs have been requested. So it looks like I'm sending both. I'll mark and photo each, so they can't play switch a roo on me, and hope for the best.

I am trying to be optimistic and hope that their only gripe will be that I pay for them to put the new PSU into the replacement case. I realize that is overly optimistic, but if I dwell on how they can screw me, I'll go crazy. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice