Does the brand of model of GPU matter?

iMarkeh

I am looking at getting a Nvidia graphics card with my new computer but it has dawned on me that there are different brands even when purchasing an Nvidia graphics card. Does it matter if I get Asus or MSI etc?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Before you purchase a graphics card, you need to make sure your computer's power supply unit can handle it.

Aside from its brand name, what is the description of the NVIDIA chip-based graphics card you want to purchase?

What is the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply unit in your new computer?

If your new computer is a factory brand one and not a self built one, what is its brand name and model name and model number?

If your new computer is able to load its Windows operating system and has a working internet connection, please do the following in it:
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------

iMarkeh

Before you purchase a graphics card, you need to make sure your computer's power supply unit can handle it.

Aside from its brand name, what is the description of the NVIDIA chip-based graphics card you want to purchase?

What is the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply unit in your new computer?

If your new computer is a factory brand one and not a self built one, what is its brand name and model name and model number?

If your new computer is able to load its Windows operating system and has a working internet connection, please do the following in it:
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------
Basically, I am looking to buy a new computer (using Amazon for easy comparing) and having looked into it, it was offering brands for the Nvidia graphics. That is why I was wondering if the brand before Nvidia mattered. Not looking into the specifics as if it's included in the computer, it should work.

I am thinking more generally speaking if it matters. If not, I have more computers available to buy, if it matters who the manufacturer is, I will need to look more into my search and filter it to get a specific brand of Nvidia graphics card.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I am looking at getting a Nvidia graphics card with my new computer
Based on this comment you made, I assumed you had already purchased a new computer.
Since its unknown what hardware will be in your new computer, and it's also unknown which NVIDIA graphics card you want, I can't recommend a brand name.

-------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Yes, it matters. Nvidia does not make the cards; they mfg the chipset used on the card. Stick with Asus or EVGA for a mfg and you will be fine.

Asus has some bad AMD cards, but overall they are very good. If you want the best in GPU's it's MSI #1 and eVGA #2, Gigabyte #3, Asus #4. The cooling (fans), hardware, design , fan curves on MSI cards are supurb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online