1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does the Version of OpenGl matter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nade, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

I have a xfx 6200 with OpenGl 1.5.

Will I have problems running games because I don't have version 2.0?

2. BG-0

BG-0

More propably you'll be having problems running games because you have xfx 6200. What games do you mean?

3. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

Please don't comment on the GPU..I know it's bad..

The highest game I want to run is Team Fortress 2, then San Andreas, then Halo.

I'm not a big PC gamer..

4. BG-0

BG-0

Well, neither the games' official sites, nor any other sites show any kind of requirements of opengl version 2.0, and the card seems to handle the mentioned(GREAT) games. But that's all it does, just handles them, at low resolutions. TF2 will be an ugly experience compared to the great show it could be. But, I'm not 100% sure if the opengl will or won't cause trouble. There just seems to evidence against the functionality.

5. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

Thanks.

But I think with a 6200 I could make it through with medium and a meh resolution.

My friend with a 6600 can run TF2 1028x768 medium details and get 15-40 frames.

6. BG-0

BG-0

Fine. I played TF2 on my system(check from the comp icon) during a free weekend, and I'll have to say that even thou the game totally rocks, I won't even consider buying it before I get my new computer ordered and built. It's just not the same experience that it is on a system on which you can concentrate on the playing instead of the ridiculously low FPS.

7. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

To be honest, I don't think I'll even buy Tf2 haha.

I just need this 6200 for Halo and San Andreas.

8. BG-0

BG-0

Okay :D Hope it'll work fine.(As fine as it can ;)) Planning on getting a new system sometime?

9. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

Yes =D

This is only a temporary solution.

Though it's going to be hard to build a system with my jobless self xD

I'm only 15 D=

10. Cultivated

Cultivated

I had a 6200 from xfx. (128mb model) It had a P4 2.8ghz and 2gb of ram. Runs San Andreas on lowest fine. Runs Halo fine as well. Never tried it with TF2. It runs Day of Defeat fine.

11. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

What the ****?

San Andreas on low? Dude On my integrated graphics I'm running San Andreas on low easily. Are you sure you didn't update to the latest drivers?

And the recommended for San Andreas is a 6200.

What resolution were you using?

12. Cultivated

Cultivated

1024 x 768 - and yes, lowest, updated. Otherwise it'd lag like mad.

13. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

How the hell...

Damn it, picking out a graphics card gives me headaches.

-________________-

14. BG-0

BG-0

Dude. I have Intel CELERON=crap 2.6 GHz, 1 Gb DDr400 RAM, and Radeon x800GT 256 Mb. I ran SA with 1280x1024 and a bit over medium settings. I don't know how you got it running so bad. GTA SA is not so spectacular in graphics that the GFX alone measures the performance you get. I don't know if your computer is full of useless processes or what's your problem, but it shouldn't be like that. Of course, you'll get quite some lag, because SA is a bit laggy game in itself, but not that bad.

15. Nade

Nade Thread Starter

/\

Yay Air Support.

=D

Ok, I'll just be a man and just order the damn thing. New egg has a return policy anyways..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice