1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does this computer run certain games after an upgrade if possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xAlec97x, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xAlec97x

xAlec97x Thread Starter

I have a Asus Desktop
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/1243294.p?id=1218240378146&skuId=1243294
    And i play world of warcraft.
    Wow runs fine but i want to run other games on my computer.
    To buy and install a new graphics card
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Visiont...Card/9975432.p?id=1218211781152&skuId=9975432
    I hope.
    ill need to buy a new power supply:mad:
    I was thinking
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cooler+...pply/1510585.p?id=1218265778423&skuId=1510585
    What do you think. Much is appriciated
    also, i did take into consideration about my motherboard. I couldnt find any info on it.
    What i was thinking is what is my best possible video card upgrade, with the 500 watt power supply,
    and if i can, replace the motherboard? to get the Video card.
    Thanks much is appriciated.
    I also like playing Fallout games(3 and NV) and the Elder scrolls(TES Oblivion). it runs oblivion, but not that well
    Alec barton

2. rickmamo

rickmamo

I would go with a 600wat PS min...pref the 750 true type from antec, that setup and video card should run those games rather smoothly but might take some sacraficial tweaking in individual game settings to be seamlessly smooth..as a rule of thumb the heavier the power supply the better the quality...i know a wives tale but helps "me" decide sometimes

Look for a comparison on video cards on line that specificly lists the bandwidth for each..use that as the end decision when comparing same slot type video cards when gaming is the primary focus unless there is a specific feature a game needs that only the newest high end cards have like support for reflective water effects for example

You can also find a power supply recomender/configurator on line where you select the items you are have in the box and recommends a PS for you...but overkill is always the route I go when affordable

3. rickmamo

rickmamo

also make sure the New video card is set up properly in BIOS settings..and Not sharing system memory as it has it's own and should be faster than swapping data to system mem

4. xAlec97x

xAlec97x Thread Starter

bump, great info Rickmamo, but is that card compadible with all the hardware already in the Machine?

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    According to you the specs on the website that machine has a PCI-E x16 slot available for expansion, this is where the new graphics card would go. It seems like a decent sized tower so should have enough physical room inside for the card, maybe worth double checking before you buy it though. Just get the cards measurements and ensure there is space around for it.

Personally, based on the specs I can see and the upgrade you have suggested, a 500w PSU will be more than enough to run that rig, its probably looking at consuming somewhere around 300w of power, so 500w PSU would be good as you don't want to run the PSU at its maximum capability, better to run it around 70-80% of its maximum.. CoolerMaster aren't a bad make on the whole but I have not really had any experience with their power supplies personally.

6. rickmamo

rickmamo

physical size of the video card is definately a factor but as long as you get the same slot type and a adequate power supply with appropriate connectors it should be compatable. Be sure to DL the latest drivers after it's installed (perhaps monthly).

7. xAlec97x

xAlec97x Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info guys, I really appreciate it. soon i will buy the card and the power supply. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice