1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does This Sound Like A Video Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kdeez, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdeez

kdeez Thread Starter

Hello everyone - first time poster here!

I'm running an HP Pavilion, XP Home SP1, 512 MB memory, AdAware, Spybot S&D and NAV 2003. Nvidia geo force 440 mx video card.

About two months ago, at random intervals, my monitor screen would flash and drop into low resolution mode. I would get an error message telling me to save my work and restart. I would also get messages saying that the system had recovered from a hardware error. I looked at the info, and saw something that mentioned my Nvidia card. So I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded and installed updated drivers. Seemed to work better for a week or two.

Now, all of a sudden, my monitor will just go black but not shut off or go into the sleep mode. Also, my PC will just lock up. I cannot alt-control-delete, I have to hold in the power button for four seconds.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or what I should think about doing. The problem has goten so bad that it happend a half a dozen times a day.

Thanks in advance - Ken

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Yeah, definitely sounds like your video card may be on the fritz. First thing you could check is heat problems, see if the case is getting too hot inside, video cards tend to mis-behave when they heat up. If you have another monitor, or can borrow a friends, you may try hooking another one up to rule that out, but since you were getting errors from Windows about it, it's most likely gonna be the video card itself.

3. kdeez

kdeez Thread Starter

Thanks very much. I got the extended purchase plan when I bought it at best Buy so I guess I'll take it in there and let them deal with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice