1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does video card slow burn speed?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dutchlap, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dutchlap

dutchlap Thread Starter

I have a HP m7560n, 4200 with AMD dual core processor. 2 gig memory and 350 meg hard drive. It has an on board Nvidia geforce 6159 LE. It may be my imagination but it seems to take an unusually long tome to render a video file. Probably 45 minutes for a 8 gig file.
    Does the video card play any role in the speed of rendering?

2. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

No the video card has nothing to do with it. 45 minutes to encode an 8 gig file does not sound bad at all.

3. Megabite

Megabite

I agree that time sounds about right

4. DarklykraD

DarklykraD

Burn speed?:confused:

Wow nice 45 minutes...... :D its too fast....

5. DaChew

DaChew

the bottom line is does it work, 45 min for 8 gigs at 2.4x would be about right

6. dutchlap

dutchlap Thread Starter

Well, I stand corrected. I am using ULead Studio 11 to render an 8 gig file to my hard drive, so I can use Imageburn later to burn it to a disk. I am on my third hour at 74% completion. The only thing that I changed was to have it normalize the audio. Could that effect the time that much?

7. DaChew

DaChew

Is this an 8 gig avi? that's being converted to mpeg2?

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yes, depending on how many and what type of modifications made to the video/audio and how different the source format is from the output format can make a big difference in processing time. I've found that one of the most costly is to apply a sharpening filter. Normalizing te audio would take a bit of extra time but probably just a few minutes if no other audio processing is occuring but you might be going to different bitrates, different format, lots of other factors.

I always think of the video as 24 or 30 "pictures" per second and just converting each picture to a different format, different bit-content, different dimension, takes time. Now add several adjustments (color, sharpness, brightness, etc.) to each picture and that really adds time because the program has to make all these changes to every single picture in the video and there are tens of thousands of pictures in the average video, as much as 150,000-250,000 frames typically in a long video.

So if you do a lot of video one soon learns that that's a job for a second system; set it and forget it; I've had projects on similar rigs as yours take 3 days to render all the complicated changes I set it to do, and for only about a 5 gig final product too so you are well within very normal parameters.

If you want quick go from DV-avi to DV-avi with just a few minimal changes to the video. That might only take 10 or 20 minutes on 8 gigs but the rest is gonna take a lot more time.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice