1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does Wifi adapter communicate with printer without router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skytech, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skytech

skytech Thread Starter

2. Soundy

Soundy

If it's a desktop, chances are that it doesn't.

Yes... although a router will probably be cheaper. Plus, adding a router between your computer and your internet modem adds an extra level of security and simplifies setup.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    EDIT posted after previous poster - Who says it can work - so as i have not tried recently - I would assume i'm incorrect

most printers need a router to work - i have not seen one work on an ad-hoc network - which you are describing

to check if PC has wifi using device manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager
    windows key and pause Key should open to allow device manager to be seen on laptops may need to use windows key + FN key + Pause Key
    if not then

Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there

you should see a wireless adapter listed

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. skytech

skytech Thread Starter

Just to clarify, my main question is if I have a usb wifi adapter plugged into the PC usb port of my desktop. Can the desktop print a document wirelessly to the printer?

I do not have router, internet, modem.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont think they can - but by no means 100% certain on this at all - I have tried with a HP a couple of years ago and it would not work - needed a router

but see what others think

you may want to call the canon support number http://www.canon.com.sg/local/sg/service/index.jsp?languageCode=EN or even the sales line and confirm it can work without a router

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It can however I do not recommend going this route for a few reasons;
    1 Security. Having the wireless enabled on your printer just increases the risk to your network
    2 Reliability. While I was able [and still am able] to print from my home theater pc to a wireless capable epson printer, I do not do so for the above reason.

I had a hp wireless capable printer and it was so unreliable I just got rid of it; wireless kept dropping off line. Some wireless printers are better than others; the hp I had was junk. The epson I now have works fine. I have never used the printer you linked to so I cannot tell you anything about it.

The wireless printers I have seen/used were either or and not both. By that I mean when you install the printer and software, it gives you the option of installing it as a network printer, a wireless printer, or a direct connection via usb however you have to choose what you want to do.

Here is what I would do. Buy a wireless router and install the router on your network. Once all systems can "See" shared resources and all is working well, install your printer as a network printer via a wired connection to your router. Now everyone can print to the printer over the network and no need to worry about unreliable wireless connections.

7. Soundy

Soundy

You SHOULD be able to... however, you'll have to configure your printer and PC manually with suitable IPs on the same subnet.

Keep in mind that the printer's own detection-and-setup software may not like this configuration, although most modern printers should be more robust than that.

I'm not quite sure what sort of risk it's supposed to present to your network by having a wireless-enabled printer, other than maybe the ability for someone driving by to send random jobs to your printer. It may open up access to your *PC* to have wireless enabled on *that*, but for this to work, you'd have to set the two devices up as an ad-hoc network, so you should be able to control the access pretty tightly so that ONLY the printer is allowed to communicate.

Ultimately, it's a lot of screwing around and probably a pretty big headache... is there any particular reason you can't use a USB cable or a hard network line? Does the printer HAVE to reside at a distance from the computer? Keep in mind that 50-100 feet will be the maximum you'll be able to get a reliable connection anyway... less if you have steel stud or concrete construction... you may find it easier to just run a network cable between the two.

8. Soundy

Soundy

Probably a matter of whether the printer needs an access point, or if it can make an ad-hoc connection.

9. skytech

skytech Thread Starter

Here is the screenshot

[​IMG]

Why does having wireless increases the risk to network? Does it mean that other people can access the wireless printer? I do not have a wireless router and I am using wired internet connection.

10. skytech

skytech Thread Starter

My desk area does not have space to put the printer, so I need to use the wifi function. Printer and PC is in the same room.

11. skytech

skytech Thread Starter

I did call my canon support. They are unsure if it can work wirelessly without a router.

12. Soundy

Soundy

You'd indicated above that you have NO internet connection.

How is your computer connected to the internet? Is it plugged into another device that's then plugged into a phone or cable line? If so, that's a modem. If your computer is connected directly to that, THAT is a major security risk, as it allows anyone on the 'net to directly access your computer - even with a software firewall, it makes it possible for hackers to attack that.

Adding a router between the modem and the computer is something I recommend anyway, just for the additional security, as it adds a level of "physical" network separation. If you add a wireless router, then you can easily connect the printer to that.

If they're in the same room, you'll probably find it far easier and more reliable to just connect them with a network cable (assuming you don't add a router). Personally, I'd recommend adding a router, and then connecting the printer to that via network cable, for the greatest security and reliability.

13. skytech

skytech Thread Starter

I only found out today that connecting PC directly to modem and modem to the phone line/cable line is a major risk. I used to do that a few years ago.

My current connection is PC connected to a router, router connected to a modem.

How are you going to connect a network cable with the printer? There are no ports for the network cable to the printer. Or do you mean a super long USB cable to connect printer to the PC

14. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Skytech, the screenshot you posted earlier clearly shows that your computer lacks a wireless network adapter. You will need one in order to have wireless connectivity. Once your computer is WLAN capable, you can access your printer without a wireless router, it just makes setup a bit more difficult. Anyway, for starters, just go buy the USB WLAN adapter of your choice and get it running, then you can move on to getting your printer to work wirelessly.

Candidly, I will say that wireless technology mostly bites, and is virtually always inferior to wired solutions in cost, ease of implementation, and performance. If you don't have room on the desk, put a shelf on the wall over the desk and use a USB cable for the printer.

15. Soundy

Soundy

Hmm, I see, no hard network port... so the options are either a long USB cable (USB is limited to about 5m/16ft so it might also need an active extender if it's further than that), or wireless... I'd suggest replacing the existing router with a WiFi router, rather than trying to add a WiFi adapter to your computer... like I said right off the top, it will be far simpler, and probably cheaper.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice