1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Does Windows Defender have a firewall?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by BrianJones, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianJones

BrianJones Thread Starter

I know Windows Defender (which came installed on my win 8 Dell Laptop) works for anti-virus, but does anyone know if this also is used for firewal? what about malware?

If not, and if I need to download other programs, can anyone suggest free items I can use along with Win. Defender?

thank you!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Windows 8 comes with a firewall. But it is not considered part of Windows Defender.

Malware is a generic term that includes All forms of undesirable programs. Windows Defender can remove some of them. But programs like MalwareBytes can do better.

3. BrianJones

is there a name for the Win 8 Firewall? just a way I can check to make sure its "on"

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

5. BrianJones

I looked at the malwarebytes and there is a trial version but the full version must be paid for. Is the trial malwarebytes worth anything, or must it be purchased to be of any real help?

and for the superantispyware, is the "Free Edition" enough or does this need to be paid for in order to do its job.

thank you for your post!

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

theres a free version
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
    i'll update the link

7. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

The FREE versions of both are what most of us use. Just be sure to do the Update before doing a quick scan. I do mine once a week:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091601