Does XP verify writes automagicially?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Atarian

I can't believe I can't find a rapid or even not so rapid answer to this question, so I will try here.

Does Windows XP (SP3) verify writes were successful automatically (kinda like xcopy /v) when just using explorer to copy and paste? I often backup My Docs to an external USB drive - is Windows doing some sort of check/verify the copy was good or is it just assuming it was?

Thanks for any help!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Not really. You would need to use a program like Teracopy which makes a checksum value of the base file and then it can create a checksum value for the target file. If they don't match it throws up an error.

jiml8

Write verifications are usually done at the hardware level. Your hard drive should verify write and rewrite if required.

Atarian

So I'm thinking that in a relatively modern drive the data is sent to the drive's buffer and then gets written/verified? I guess the potential for loss is when data is moved from one drive and gets corrupted somehow before reaching the destination (?).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online