1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

doesnt boot, no beeps, anything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fauchpj, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fauchpj

fauchpj Thread Starter

okay a bit of a long story here...

whenever i go out of town, i turn the black switch on the back of my power supply to "off" so nobody can turn it on (without looking back there)

anyways, i went out of town last weekend and came back last sunday. like always, i went to the back of the power supply and cut the power on, then hit the main computer power up front. 2 lights come on up front, keyboard lights up and mouse lights up. but the computer doesnt boot, no beeps or anything. i keep messing around with it and finally get the thing to turn on. it then says boot disk failure. so i turned it off and started it back up. boots up just fine.

fast forward to the next day, monday. im running the machine all day, and i decided to burn a few cds. i burn one and start another. i took a nap and when i got up the computer screen was frozen. so i restart it. nothing comes up on the screen, nothing.

the cpu fan comes on, the hard drive spins, and the other day the bottom cd drive opened, but it doesnt now. i get the green power light on the computer and the red hard drive light at first then it goes off. its sitting here next to me right now with the green light on and the fan spinning. what the heck is the problem? i was leaning towards the power supply since thats what i was messing with when i got back. but that really doesnt make sense because the cpu fan runs and the hard drive spins.

its not the power cord
    the memory sticks are attached well (ive double checked)
    ive checked all the connections to the mother board, unplugged and rechecked.
    cd drives dont open
    keyboard lights blink right when i turn it on
    i dont get anything on the monitor, it does absolutely nothing when i turn the computer on. im pretty sure its connected well

can anybody help me here????

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

disconnect or remove everything except 1 stick of ram, video card, powersupply, cpu.

does it post?......if so, then add one component at a time until you see which one is causing the problem.

if it still doesnt post, then trial and error to see which one of the 5 components (memory, video card, motherboard, cpu, powersupply) needs replacement.

3. fauchpj

fauchpj Thread Starter

doesnt post....

video is integrated.

ive already tried removing both memory sticks and putting them in new slots but nothing happens

4. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    There is a switch on the powersupply (it should be black or red and recessed) that selects the voltage. Make sure it is set for 120 and not switched to the higher settings. If it is set correctly I would try to get another powersupply and connect it to see if the powersupply is bad. Good Luck and let us know if you need anything further.

5. fauchpj

fauchpj Thread Starter

yeah the red switch is on 115.

i dont have any power supplys here at school so im gonna have to wait until the end of the month when i go home to test it.

i might be able to test it through one of my friends at school though

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

I meant does it post AFTER you have disconnected all the drives, etc.

7. fauchpj

fauchpj Thread Starter

nope it doesnt

8. MRCooLBP

MRCooLBP

Id be interested in the inspecific "messing around" at the beggining of the story. What did you do that made it work kinda, and then have that boot failure?

Also did you ever consider someone might have found that well hidden power switch, messed with you're computer, then left it in the off position to throw you off? That one sounds the most plausible if you didn't screw it up with the power switch somehow. And if you did mess it up the power supply a compatible Power supply Should fix you're problem.

9. fauchpj

fauchpj Thread Starter

the messing around i did was flipping the switch on and off and turning the main power off and on

nobody came here while i was gone and i know what the on and off positions look like. right now it doesnt turn on in the off position and it turns on in the on position....so scratch that idea i guess

10. MRCooLBP

MRCooLBP

Ick sorry man. So now it still doesn't really work even though you've bypassed the switch? (lol) Well if it wass working fine before you left, a new power supply seems like a good option.

11. Jtoast

Jtoast

if fans run and board lights up but no beeps and no post, I would suspect either the motherboard or processor at this point.

The are the only 2 components that fail with no beep codes.

could be the powersupply but I hesitate to say that as you are getting power.

12. fauchpj

fauchpj Thread Starter

maybe its not getting enough power anymore??? im thinking its the power supply since its the only thing i touched but i dunno. i'll find out whenever i hook another one up.

13. MRCooLBP

MRCooLBP

well when you install another try more voltage maybe = )

14. ***ROPAK***

***ROPAK***

What O.S. are you running? 98, me xp? Sounds to me your boot files have landed on a bad cluster.
    Try doing a dirty install of your opperating system. Basically your putting in missing files back on your hard drive.

It will ask you if you want to keep your data, choose yes.

Boot to cd rom and go through the installation procedures.

Might want to start backing up some files first.

15. fauchpj

fauchpj Thread Starter

how can i do that? it doesnt even boot into bios let alone the operating system

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice