1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Doesn't boot, reognize disc in drive, or send signal to monitor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skylights, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

I have a circa 2003 Pentium 4 HP Pavilion desktop. It won't boot, recognize an XP disc in either the CD or DVD drive, or send a signal to the monitor.

Let me tell you how it happened, which may clue you in as to what might have gone wrong. Yesterday morning upon starting up, the system froze after the desktop had already come up. There was no signal to the mouse or keyboard. Several hard reboots resulted in the system freezing each time, sometimes earlier in the boot process, sometimes later. I finally decided to do a chkdsk /r from the recovery console (via XP disc). Afterwards, the computer started fine and did not freeze -- at first. But perhaps an hour later, it froze again.

I decided this time to try a System Restore. From safe mode with command prompt, I started System Restore and selected a restore point from two days ago. The restore was nearing completion when the system froze. After waiting a bit to make sure, I had to do another hard reboot. But now the system seemed truly screwed. It powered on (somewhat more loudly than usual), but nothing happened. No signal went to the monitor. It wouldn't even boot from or recognize an XP disc. Repeated boot attempts failed.

The personal data is backed up, so that's not a concern. My question is, what's next? What's probably wrong (or how do I find out what might be wrong), and how can I get the old system running again? It's worked fine until now. Thanks for your time.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'd check the inside of the Pc.
    Remove Hard Drive - Video Card etc and then reconnect cables.
    Check for dust etc.

Let us know what happens.

3. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

OK, I will.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the hardware forum. Looking back I should have realized that this was a hardware issue.

4. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

OK, I finally got around to this. I removed and replaced the hard drive and video card, unplugged and re-plugged several cables, and vacuumed out copious amounts of dust. I'm afraid I might have done something wrong or damaged something, because now when I power it on it just goes "beeeeeeeeeep" repeatedly. What now?

5. blues_harp28

Best not to use a vacuum cleaner - too much static.
    A can of compressed air - is the best way.

Beeps - can relate to a motherboard problem and Ram etc.
    Remove each Ram stick and reseat them in their slots - one by one.
    Does it start up now?

6. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

OK, I removed and reseated each RAM stick. The computer still beeps and doesn't boot. Next?

7. blues_harp28

8. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

I checked again and this time I couldn't get it to beep. It turns on, the fan runs, the disk activity light comes on at first, and the CD and DVD drive lights come on, but it doesn't boot or send a signal to the monitor. I can tell you that when it beeped before, it was just a steady series of long beeps, no short ones. I didn't see anything about that on the pages you linked to, so if anything I guess it would fall under "other" and be a RAM problem. But again, it's not beeping now.

9. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

Last night I powered it on to retrieve a disc from the disc drive, and the computer was beeping again.It was indeed a series of long beeps that just kept going.

Any other ideas for figuring out what's wrong exactly?

10. blues_harp28

Continuous beep - Possible Power supply - Motherboard fault.
    Or a short circuit somewhere etc etc.

If you have more than one stick of Ram - remove them and test them
    in the Pc - one at a time.
    Again reseat all cable etc.

If no joy - you may have a Pc repair shop take a look.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/993473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice