Doesn't recognize discs?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bko376

My computer's been having problems. It started here, and today, while trying to get an ipod shuffle (might have something to do with it?) to work, we realized that it won't recognize audio or game discs. It acts like they aren't there. Please request more info if you need it.

Does it still recognize data discs? And the obligatory question :D what does Device Manager say about your CD drive?

bko376

I don't know about the data disks, but the device manager said
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

bko376

When I got to the step:
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
I pressed delete and it said
Cannot delete...[long file name]...: Error while deleting key.

???

bko376

Also, I did JohnWill's thing, I saved the file to my desktop, right clicked, merged, then I deleted it, and checked my computer. It didn't work. I merged it again without deleting it, but still nothing.

bko376

Also, I did JohnWill's thing, I saved the file to my desktop, right clicked, merged, then I deleted it, and checked my computer. It didn't work. I merged it again without deleting it, but still nothing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online