1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Doh! I Killed My PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dumbPCspare, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumbPCspare

dumbPCspare Thread Starter

My log in name doesn't really do my novice pc skill justice. I am actually dumber than a PC spare.

I decided to leave the stone age sort of and bought a copy of windows xp home to extend the life of my POS just a couple more months. I didn't want to buy a new computer and got a deal on a copy of xp home. I am planning on buying components and building a system from scratch soon, but for now just needed to keep going. Several of the sites I like to frequent recently upgraded and no longer support ME.

The copy of xp I received turned out to be an OEM Windows XP Home w/ service pack 2.
    Like a moronic bozo I set my IOLO Drivescrubber into motion and whiped my HD clean. I didn't change anything in the bios as one: don't know how to and two: afraid to.

Once the drive was clean however it failed to recognize the cd rom of xp. I then remembered I had to format and partition the drive in order for it to do so. Then I remembered I don't know how to do that.

I figured okay I'll just use my old recovery cds reload ME and hop on over to Tech Support Guy and learn. Here's where the Doh comes in. The HP recovery program begins normally by formatting the drive and oops FAILED TO READ DRIVE M or something to that effect. It will not finish the process and begin recovering the old OS from the cd-rom.

The Bios screen shows the atapi cdrom, a drive, and hardrive. It sees the ram and the rest of the ports. I ran the drivescrubber again and retried the HP recovery cds but continue to get failure to read drive m.

I am currently runing the drive scrubber once more and doing a thorough whipe of the drive. I have about 14 hrs to go before that process is complete.

I had whiped the drive before and was able to reload the old os from the recovery cds without issue until this time.

Fortunately I was able to borrow this laptop to get online and search for a solution. I figured I would start here. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated thank you.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

You should be able to use the XP CD to partition and format...put it in and restart the PC

You say it doesn't recognize it....have you checked for scratches on the disk

3. dumbPCspare

TY for responding.

I finished the thourough wipe and retried the Windows XP cd.

Upon restart I had a black screen with only a flashing cursor.

After several seconds a message appeared.

CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Not sure what you mean

you wiped the Hard drive clean using the XP CD?

5. dumbPCspare

No sorry. I used a program called drivescrubber to eliminate the old OS. I figured out why the cd wasn't working. It was do to a defective cdrw drive. I am fortunate that this old pc came with two drives.

I inserted the xp cd rom into the secondary dvd-rom and the set up process started immediately.

I do however have a question. After the EULA the screen asks enter= install c=create partition and F3 to quit.

It shows that I have Unpatitioned space and the unoccupied space on the Hd at 40 gb.

If I choose C will this take me to whether I want to do NTFS or Fat32 or do I need to just hit enter and Install?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes choose C

Attached Files:

• FF.gif
      FF.gif
      File size:
      7.3 KB
      Views:
  7. dumbPCspare

Fantastic! This old p3 box should suffice until I am ready to construct a new PC.

Thank you for you assistance.

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Nice one thanks for the update

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice