1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Doing it the legal way

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by i hate ram, Sep 16, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. i hate ram

i hate ram Thread Starter

I understand that this post might borderline the whole illegal policy, and if it does, feel free to delete it!!!

Question: I know downloading is illegal, but in WMP, there is a copy cd to computer feature. I havent heard about copying and distibuting CDs being illegal. (not selling them, of course.) anyways, if i copy a cd for someone, and give it to them, then can they use that cd and/or copy that cd to the computer and listen to it legally(not sharing anything on the internet) If this question falls into the "how to..." illegal acts catergory, then any administrators, please delete this post. Personally, I think this is a post to ask how to do things legally! If anyone knows....feel free to drop me a message!

2. jimi

jimi

never read the EULA huh:rolleyes: look intellectual property, be it music, computer code, digital artworks are all protected if the author has copyrighted them. try writing to billy gates and explaining that since you aren't going to sell the copies, what the hey, all's cool right bill:eek:

ok here the message - BUY IT!!!!

3. i hate ram

well then whats up with cd burners?! i think that if someone didnt want their stuff copied, then they would make to too hard for morons like me to copy! :p

4. i hate ram

oh yeah...and not to mention that Memorex sells "digital audio cd's" whats up with that?! lol

5. jimi

jimi

never backed up your data with a burner??? never heard of anyone burning their OWN music onto a cd or making a compilation of mixed artists from sources that they own?

they also sell firearms, ammo and ski masks, whats up with that??

thought you said you wanted to do something the legal way, i told you, now you are basically saying "but i can, and i don't see anything wrong with it" so then why did you ask; nice way to get started around here oh.........[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

6. deuce

deuce

lol................................;)

7. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

To perhaps answer your question......

If you own a CD, it is perfectly in your right (atleast here in the US) to copy it to your hard drive (IE, music).

However, you do not have the right (thus illegal) to distribute this music in anyway; irregardless of whether you are giving it away (MP3s, WMAs, CDs, etc) or selling it (MP3s, WMAs, CDs, etc).

Even giving a friend a copy of your disk is illegal (IE, you do not have the right to distribute).

If you had the explicit right to distribute certain music/art work/etc; then it would be perfectly legal so long as what you are doing as within any restrictions applied to your distribution right(s). However, this is not going to be the case in about 99.99999999999999999..... etc...% of the cases, since you are not the artist of the music, record company, etc.

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

Sorry to pick on you Cyber, but "irregardless" is not a word, although often used by people. I think its probably a combination of "irrespective" and "regardless", both of which are words.

Here's another one, while I am at it: "Heigth" is not a word. There is "length", "width", and "height" (note the "t" and the "h" are reversed). But you will hear people all the time use say "Heigth".

Geesh, I'm starting to sound like pyritechips, AlbertB and the rest of the Grammar-Taliban! ;)

Ok, back to the topic! ;)

9. clskrk

clskrk

Hey M, want to buy some great cd's and pgm's I have? :D :D

10. i hate ram

TSG is such a great place! lol... I think artists are nuts...theyre getting all "boo-hooey" (Take it, Mulder) over a few... err.... million dollars in stolen media... I mean...theyre so freaking rich anyways.... I would take it as a compliment if people loved my muisc so much they felt they needed to steal it (yeah.... it makes sense to me anyways, and like anyone would wanna listen to MY music).... anyways... i think theyre all just whining too much... lol.

what if the artist of the music gives you direct permission to copy his music? (not to distribute or sell, but to keep on a cd-r) thats ok...right? im sure it is...but $20,000 is a lot of money lol

11. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Oh my Mulder! :eek: Does this mean your spelling is now fair game for me?? :D

12. i hate ram

what is this post turning into... a spelling bee? :p

13. i hate ram

spell supercalafragalisticexpealadocious! :D

14. mad-martin

mad-martin

it's actually supercalifragilisticexpialidocious :D:D:D

15. clskrk

clskrk

and a common word used daily by many...
    lol :D :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice