1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dolby Digital 5.1 capable ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SGtheArtist, Feb 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SGtheArtist

SGtheArtist Thread Starter

I have setup my computer so that it can play DVD's and I started considering Dolby Digital 5.1 (DD 5.1) sound systems that have the DD 5.1 decoders in them but I'm not sure if my sound card supports the capability to send a DD 5.1 signial to the sound system. Now I don't know if a sound card needs anything special or if a coax S/PDIF or optical S/PDIF output jack is all that's necessary to send the DD 5.1 signal. The sound card I have is (I believe) manufactured by A-Trend
    and it is a Harmony 3DS724A High Quality Yamaha PCI 3D Sound SONDIUS-XG Wavetable Synthesis with;

Speaker Out/Line Out
    Line In
    Mic In
    MIDI/Joystick
    S/PDIF

jacks. And so my question is if I were to get a DD 5.1 sound system which had its own DD 5.1 decoder inside could my sound card send the DD 5.1 signal or would I have to purchase a special sound card for this and why?

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

You are all set.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>S/PDIF port for direct digital audio output to AC-3 decoders and speaker systems <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AC-3 is an older term for 5.1 - they are the same thing.

That quote came from A-Trend.
    http://www.a-trend.com/related/datc6655.html

3. SGtheArtist

SGtheArtist Thread Starter

Thanks Larry thats sooo coool! I appreciate it.

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

My pleasure.

Just remember to keep those speakers spread out. 5.1 is great, but if the rears and fronts are too close it doesn't do much good.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!