1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dolby Surround Sound

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by johnni, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

My PC arrived in March 2001 complete with Creative 4.1 surround sound speakers, a Pioneer DVD player and a copy of PowerDVD 3.0. I never played any DVDs and just used the drive, after installing Nero UDF Reader, as an adjunct to my CDRW drive, with Nero InCD installed.

After reinstalling Windows some time ago after creating a partition I never got round to reinstalling PowerDVD, but today I did so and expected to hear wonderful surround sounds from a DVD of the 1984 film Paris, Texas that was included with my daily newspaper. Whether the DVD boasts a surround sound soundtrack or not I don't know (and is not mentioned on the disk or envelope), but although the rear speakers are outputting sound it appears to be the same as the front ones!

Exploring the PowerDVD config menu for audio I noticed a panel, greyed out and the check box also, which read Use Dolby Pro Logic Decoder for 4/6 speakers. There is a check mark against Stereo output, but of course I cannot access the greyed out box. Does PowerDVD recognise if a disk has a surround sound audio track, and if not automaticallly go to stereo?

So, what am I supposed to do to access a Dolby Decoder? - it didn't come with Windows (ME) and apparently not with PowerDVD or the Creative software.

The DVD plays well in Stereo but it seems a waste having the other two speakers, which according to the Creative software are working normally, as in Left front, Left back etc.

Can anyone guide me on this please?

johnni

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/295877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice