Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Domain and Local user account problems on my laptop.

939 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jmwills 
#1 ·
Can anyone help?? :confused:

I am having trouble with my Windows XP Pro.
I have two user accounts on my laptop, one is a domain account (work) and the other is the local account. Ever since I connected this laptop to my work domain I am unable to connecto to broadband anywhere else.

For example, I can connect to the internet fine when I am on the work network. However, when I am at home and logged into the local account I am unable to connect to the internet (whether it be wired or wireless).

I spoke to an IT friend of mine who (after going through a few steps) said that my local account seems to be using my domain account server to access the net.

Any help would be appreciated as it is driving me mad :mad: . Only other option I have is to reinstall.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Group policy shouldn't affect the local account when it's off the domain... Try this:

go into control panel -> network connections -> open your local area connection.
Click on properties
Find internet protocol in the list and double click.
Are both set to obtain IP automatically or are there numbers in there?

#6 ·
Checked TCP/IP properties, both are set to obtain automatically.

I agree about GP, however when I check my 'Internet Options' > 'Connections' > 'LAN Settings' everything under the 'Proxy Settings' is greyed out so i cannot change them. This is the same for the local account. Dunno if this means anything.

One other thing I forgot to mention, when I connect my local account to the internet (both wired and wireless) the 'Local Area Connection' icon does appear in the system tray saying that I am connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.