1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain Controller Not found during NT BDC server install

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AMRS, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AMRS

AMRS Thread Starter

I am installing NT 4.0 onto a server to be a BDC. During the installation, when I get the the networking setup, I receive the message that the primary domain controller for that domain is not found.

I have checked to ascertain that the link lights are all working that the driver has installed that the proper IPs are included. And a number of other hoops. When I run the diagnostic provided it shows that everything passes except the 'loopback'. I have also checked to be certain that other computers are accessing the PDC, and they are.

This server was formerly set up as a SQL on another domain and the NIC worked fine. I simply want to use the unit as a BDC for this domain.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

AMRS

2. Rockn

Rockn

Have you done a clean install on a clean partition? Unless there is a connectivity problem due to the NIC this should be a piece of cake.

3. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

When installing a new NT system (workstation or server) when I come to the "networking portion" I've found that it always works better if you skip that part....continue with the install and just log into the workstation/server....then, install SP 6a...then do your networking. Installing the latest SP will ensure that you've got the latest components and everything should go smooth from there. One more thing....don't use any of the NIC's that the "wizard" shows in the list...always download the correct drivers from the Mfg. and select "have disk"...believe me....you'll be glad that you did :)

4. Lardog

Lardog

Unfortunately, that solution will not work in this case because in order to make an NT4 server a DC, you need to choose so during install.

The problem is most likely a NetBIOS name resolution issue. Do you have a WINS server on your network? If not, then you will need to have an LMHosts file to find the PDC if it is not on the same network subnet.

The following Q article may help...

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140476">How to Install a BDC in a Routed TCP/IP Environment</a>

5. AMRS

AMRS Thread Starter

The problem was solved in a very simple manner: I double checked my IP range and discovered that the IP address that I had set was not within the range.

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for bothering y'all with such a silly error.

Sometimes it's best to check the plugs....

AMRS

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice