Domain Controllers - Can anyone help please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alangidman

Hi Just installed the latest version of Windows 2003 for Small Business (Sp1)

I have installed this OS on a new Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX150 S4.

Now I want just to use this Server as a server on a Workgroup. But the OS insists that it should be the Domain Controller. And then it just shuts it self down. Below is a log from the event viewer. Is there a way around this or will I have to bow down to the might of Microsoft. Just don't really want to configure the entire Lan from workgroup to Domain

Event ID 1014
Source SBCore

This computer must be configured as a domain controller. It will be shut down in 30 minutes. To prevent this computer from shutting down, run Setup on the disk that you used to install the operating system to configure the computer as a domain controller.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

You don't need to reconfigure all your workstations from a Workgroup to a Domain.

During the install you are prompted for the name, make sure it is the same as the current Workgroup name. Then create user accounts on the sever that are the same as are currently being used on the workstations.

I also have lots of customers that are in a similar situation and there was no need to change anything on all the workstations.

Sure there is, the computers have to join the domain as objects in Active Directory and you need to set up user accounts on the server. If you are running any XP Home PC's they can not be members of a domain. I would go the domain route, and I am wondering why you are hesitent to do it.

You can certainly reconfigure all the computers to join the domain. It all depends on your requirements. For example, is all you are doing with the server is sharing files and printers, it is not a requirement. At least you can make an informed choice. Even XP Home can access shared resources on a domain. Always could.

alangidman

I also have a few older 98 machines as workstations can they also join the domain

Yes they can. You configure it a bit differently. From Network Neighborhood, right click, properties, Identification tab, make sure the Workgroup name is the same as the domain name. Under Client for Microsoft Networks, check to Logon to a NT Domain and again enter the domain name.

alangidman

Cheers Bob

Worked like a dream.

Thanks for looking into this for me. Microsoft seemed to have changed the look of 2003 Server by removing the Users and Groups function in Computer Management. Yon now have to add Users through Templates in a "To Do List" function.

I don't understand why they have to mess with something that works

Cheers anyway Bob

and thanks for listening to my rant

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.